BY Benjamin ClarkMay 20, 2025
9 months ago
BY 
 | May 20, 2025
9 months ago

Trump to speak with Putin and Zelensky in push for Ukraine ceasefire

Former President Donald Trump announced over the weekend that he intends to speak with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Monday in a push to end the war in Ukraine.

According to the Christian Post, the calls come days after failed peace talks in Turkey and are part of Trump’s self-described effort to broker a ceasefire in what he characterized as an increasingly violent conflict.

Trump told reporters Saturday that he would hold separate conversations with the two leaders, beginning Monday morning with Putin at 10 a.m., to address the war and economic matters between the two countries. According to Trump, a meeting with Zelensky is expected to follow shortly after.

After both one-on-one discussions, Trump said he plans to initiate joint talks with NATO members and Zelensky, aiming to build consensus around a potential resolution to the conflict. He acknowledged the difficulty of the task, saying reaching peace has been harder than he initially thought.

“We’ll solve it or maybe not,” he said, “at least we’ll know.” Trump has called the war a “bloodbath” and said it “should have never happened.” He estimated that thousands of soldiers are dying each week as the conflict continues with no end in sight.

Deadly Drone Strike Sparks Global Reaction

The announcement came just hours after a deadly Russian drone strike reportedly killed nine civilians in Ukraine's Sumy region. The attack took place in the early morning hours on Saturday in the town of Velyka Pysarivka, located near the country’s northeastern border with Russia.

Initial reports indicated four individuals were injured in the strike, but Zelensky later updated those figures, stating that seven people were being treated for injuries, including burns, fracture,s and trauma caused by the blast. He described the attack as a direct and intentional strike on a civilian target—a bus.

The United Kingdom’s Foreign Secretary David Lammy condemned the incident, calling it “appalling” in a message shared on social media. The U.S. has not commented publicly on the strike or Trump’s planned calls with foreign leaders.

Peace Talks in Turkey Break Down

The drone attack occurred shortly after an unsuccessful round of peace negotiations in Turkey, marking the first direct talks between Russia and Ukraine since the war began in 2022. However, Russian President Vladimir Putin did not attend the discussions, which ended without progress.

Reports indicate that the Kremlin demanded control over five Ukrainian regions during the talks, a condition swiftly rejected by Ukrainian officials. These demands have been cited by Kyiv as unacceptable and a roadblock to meaningful negotiations.

In response to the violence and failed diplomacy, Zelensky has once again urged the international community to impose harsher sanctions on Moscow. “We are expecting strong sanctions against Russia from the United States, from Europe, and from all our partners,” he stated online.

Trump Takes Aim at Both Leaders

Trump said his decision to organize direct calls with Putin and Zelensky came after the breakdown of the Turkey negotiations. He indicated that prior efforts by his team to mediate the conflict had been unsuccessful and said he intends to take a more hands-on approach moving forward.

He also took the rare step of placing some blame for the war’s persistence on both sides. While he faulted Putin for launching what he said was an “unnecessary” military strike in April, he also criticized Zelensky for his stance on the Crimean Peninsula and for making statements Trump viewed as worsening tensions.

Trump cited Ukraine’s refusal to consider conceding Crimea to Russia—a region annexed by Moscow in 2014—as one of the reasons the conflict remains unresolved. He suggested that harsh language and unwillingness to negotiate have prolonged the violence.

Unclear If Putin or Zelensky Will Join

While Trump has shared his intentions publicly, neither Putin nor Zelensky has confirmed their participation in the upcoming calls. The Kremlin and the Ukrainian government have remained silent regarding any scheduled meetings with the former U.S. president.

The White House has also not stated Trump’s diplomatic efforts. As a private citizen, Trump holds no formal authority to negotiate on behalf of the U.S. government but remains a high-profile figure on the international stage.

In earlier comments on Friday, Trump acknowledged that resolving the conflict is a complex challenge. He admitted that his administration had not managed to bring about a settlement during his presidency and that current peace efforts require broader coordination.

Global Interest in Potential Talks

The international community is watching closely as Trump attempts to step into a mediating role. With recent violence escalating and diplomatic avenues failing, there is widespread concern about the trajectory of the war.

Analysts say the possibility of direct conversations between the former U.S. leader and two heads of state engaged in a deadly war is unusual, particularly given Trump’s current political status. However, his connections with both leaders have been well-documented during his presidency.

Whether or not productive discussions emerge from these proposed calls, Trump’s announcement has rekindled debate about alternative paths to peace in a protracted and devastating conflict that has stretched on for more than three years.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Wesley Hunt drops satirical ad casting Cornyn as a Democrat ahead of Texas Senate primary

Rep. Wesley Hunt wants Texas Republicans to look at Sen. John Cornyn's record and draw the obvious conclusion. So he brought two donkeys to make…
12 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Democrats are silent on thousands in donations from an indicted Florida lawmaker accused of stealing FEMA funds

Democratic candidates and party organizations that received thousands of dollars from Rep. Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick have refused to say whether they will return the money, even…
12 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Previously deported illegal alien shot dead after firing on South Carolina deputies

A previously deported illegal immigrant from Mexico opened fire on Charleston County Sheriff's Office deputies during a pursuit on Feb. 11, striking one deputy in…
12 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Gwen Stefani promoted a prayer app for Lent, and fans lost their minds

Gwen Stefani posted a video on her Instagram on Wednesday promoting the Hallow prayer app and a Lent challenge leading up to Easter. The backlash…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Pawtucket ice rink shooter's son is serving federal time for burning a Black church

Robert Dorgan walked into the Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket on Monday, opened fire on his ex-wife and son as they sat in the…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

DON'T WAIT.

We publish the objective news, period. If you want the facts, then sign up below and join our movement for objective news:

    LATEST NEWS

    Newsletter

    Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

      By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
      Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
      © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
      magnifier