Flamethrower assault at pro-Israel walk shocks Boulder
The attack unfolded during a weekly event called “Run For Their Lives,” a walk held to honor hostages taken by Hamas during the October 7, 2023, terrorist attack in southern Israel. On Sunday, eight individuals were participating in the walk when 45-year-old Mohamed Sabry Soliman threw a makeshift flamethrower at them.
Soliman is an Egyptian national who remained in the U.S. after overstaying a tourist visa, rendering his presence in the country illegal. According to authorities, he allegedly shouted political slogans including “free Palestine,” “end Zionists,” and “they are killers” moments before launching the attack.
The victims, ranging in age from 52 to 88, sustained injuries from the flames, with one participant engulfed entirely. All eight survived and received medical treatment following the incident.
Victims Targeted During Weekly Memorial Walk
The FBI has labeled the Boulder incident a “targeted attack,” attributing political motivations as a likely factor. Boulder police and federal agents continue to investigate whether the suspect acted alone or had any affiliations with organized groups.
The “Run For Their Lives” event has become a symbolic weekly gathering in support of Israelis impacted by the Hamas-led attack last year. The attack in Boulder marked the first time the event was interrupted by violence.
Witnesses reported shock and panic as flames erupted. Passersby and emergency responders quickly helped extinguish the fire and assist the wounded until paramedics arrived.
Link to Earlier Washington, D.C. Attack
This assault follows another attack targeting Jews that occurred less than two weeks earlier in Washington, D.C., in which two individuals were fatally shot. The victims, a couple employed by the Israeli Embassy, had just attended an event organized by the American Jewish Committee.
Witnesses from the Washington incident also described hearing shouts of “free, free Palestine” from the gunman shortly before the deadly shooting. Like the Boulder attack, investigators are treating that case as a politically motivated crime.
These back-to-back incidents have prompted federal authorities to heighten surveillance on potential threats against Jewish communities and events across the country. Officials are also assessing patterns or connections between recent anti-Semitic acts.
Faith Leaders Voice Support Following Violence
In the aftermath of the Boulder attack, numerous Christian and Evangelical leaders stepped forward to express their support and solidarity for Jewish residents. Statements condemning the violence circulated across churches and interfaith platforms nationwide.
Religious leaders emphasized the need for collective advocacy against hatred, calling on communities to remain united in moments of crisis. Several leaders said silence was not an option when hateful acts target any faith group.
The Jewish community in Boulder, though shaken, resumed commemorative walks, bolstered by interfaith support and increased security. Organizers said they remain committed to peacefully honoring victims of international terrorism.
Suspect’s Immigration Status Raises Security Questions
Officials also revealed that Soliman had overstayed a tourist visa, raising concerns about how immigration enforcement identifies and addresses individuals violating visa terms. His presence in the U.S. had gone undetected by authorities prior to the attack.
Law enforcement agencies stated that while his overstay status was not the immediate cause for the attack, it raises broader security questions that will be reviewed during the course of their investigation.
Soliman remains in custody as federal charges are being prepared. Authorities said additional charges related to terrorism and immigration violations are likely to be pursued.





