BY Benjamin ClarkJune 5, 2025
9 months ago
BY 
 | June 5, 2025
9 months ago

Robert Morris acknowledged the victim's age during abuse, filings reveal

The founder of Gateway Church, Robert Morris, admitted in newly released court documents that he knew Cindy Clemishire was underage when their abusive relationship began in the early 1980s.

According to the Christian Post, Court filings submitted in Tarrant County allege Morris, who has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges, acknowledged to church elders that he was aware Clemishire was just 12 years old when the abuse started, escalating scrutiny over who at Gateway knew and when.

The legal documents filed Friday outline accusations that Morris sexually abused Cindy Clemishire beginning on Christmas Day in 1982, when she was 12 years old. The abuse allegedly continued for more than four years. Morris, now facing five felony counts of lewd or indecent acts with a child, has pleaded not guilty in the case.

In a written statement prepared in 2011—but never shared publicly—Morris detailed his interactions with the victim while he was a young traveling preacher staying in her family's home. He described an incident in which Clemishire entered his bed and they engaged in physical contact shortly before her 13th birthday.

“I was told it was about two weeks before her 13th birthday,” Morris wrote at the time. He added that although he was aware she was a minor, he believed she appeared older. He called his behavior “completely inexcusable” and accepted full responsibility in the statement, according to the filings.

Church Officials Knew for Over a Decade

The statement was allegedly withheld in 2011 following legal advice from Gateway Church’s attorneys, who warned that releasing it might violate privacy laws and could bring public embarrassment to Clemishire. Around that time, the abuse first surfaced publicly through an anonymous email sent to Gateway Church elders and media outlets, including The Dallas Morning News.

Morris remained in his position as the church’s senior pastor for more than a decade after that. He resigned in June 2024, shortly after the renewed investigation into the decades-old abuse became widely known. His resignation came amid mounting criticism of church leadership and their response to the initial allegations.

In November 2024, Gateway Church confirmed that multiple elders and staff were aware of the abuse long before the public disclosure. Elder Tra Willbanks addressed the congregation, stating that individuals inside the organization had known about Clemishire’s age at the time of the abuse, but failed to act appropriately.

Mass Removal of Elders Following Investigation

The church subsequently removed several elders from leadership roles after an internal investigation revealed that only three elders had been unaware of the abuse before 2024. Those who were aware and failed to inquire further or take action were deemed to have acted wrongly by church leadership.

A spokesperson for Gateway Church stated that these individuals are no longer affiliated with the church. The same spokesperson condemned Morris’ recent legal statements, saying he continued to mischaracterize the abuse as an “inappropriate relationship” rather than a criminal act against a child.

“This filing is just the latest attempt by Robert Morris to blame others for his actions,” the spokesperson said. “None of the elders or staff involved in failing to take action remain with the church today.”

Retirement Dispute Raises New Tensions

Amid the fallout, Morris has filed a lawsuit against Gateway Church over an alleged oral agreement regarding retirement benefits. His legal team claims that he was promised annual payments of $800,000 until the age of 70, and $600,000 annually for life thereafter, with ongoing payments to his wife after his death.

According to Morris, the church owes him over $1 million in retirement compensation, which he argues was supposed to be paid within 60 days of his resignation, given that his departure was not formally for-cause or related to fraud.

He contends he was pressured to resign when the allegations became public in 2024 and that church elders told him he would be fired if he did not step down voluntarily. The church has not publicly confirmed details of any retirement agreement.

Attorney Disputes and Legal Maneuvering

Morris’ attorneys have also pushed to dismiss Gateway lawyer David Middlebrook from the case, arguing he had previously advised Morris regarding legal matters linked to Clemishire. They argue this presents a conflict of interest.

Speaking for Middlebrook, a spokesperson denied any such relationship, saying neither Middlebrook nor his law firm represented Morris personally concerning any criminal matters involving Clemishire.

Bill Mateja, an attorney for Morris, defended Gateway’s decision not to release Morris’s 2011 written statement at the time. He said the leadership followed a considered process that took into account legal advice and Clemishire’s family’s sense of privacy.

Public Reaction and Ongoing Fallout

Still, many continue to question the timeline and transparency of both Morris and Gateway Church’s responses over the years. Legal experts suggest the admissions contained in the new filings could weigh heavily as the criminal case moves forward.

“Morris is certainly deserving of the victim’s punches,” Mateja said. “But Morris is tired of taking the blame from Gateway leadership, who are now shifting responsibility to him alone.”

As the legal proceedings continue, the scandal has significantly shaken one of the nation’s largest megachurches and raised broader questions about institutional accountability in religious organizations.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Maryland legislature votes to bar local police from cooperating with ICE

Maryland's General Assembly approved two emergency bills that would prohibit state and local agencies from entering into immigration enforcement agreements with federal authorities — and…
5 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Virginia Supreme Court upholds Marine's adoption of Afghan war orphan, overturning two lower courts

The Virginia Supreme Court ruled Thursday that U.S. Marine Joshua Mast and his wife Stephanie will keep an Afghan child they brought home years ago…
5 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump's negotiators warn Iran deal 'difficult to impossible' as second carrier strike group heads to the region

President Trump's chief negotiators on Iran have delivered a blunt assessment: history says a good deal with Tehran's rulers may be unachievable. Steve Witkoff, the…
5 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Puerto Rico signs law recognizing unborn children as human beings under the penal code

Puerto Rican Gov. Jenniffer González-Colón signed the Keishla Madlane Law on Thursday, amending the territory's penal code to include the killing of unborn babies within…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump Religious Liberty Commission removes Carrie Prejean Boller after she derailed an antisemitism hearing

Carrie Prejean Boller, the former Miss California turned Catholic activist, was removed from President Trump's White House Religious Liberty Commission on Wednesday after she hijacked…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

DON'T WAIT.

We publish the objective news, period. If you want the facts, then sign up below and join our movement for objective news:

    LATEST NEWS

    Newsletter

    Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

      By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
      Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
      © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
      magnifier