BY Benjamin ClarkJune 15, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | June 15, 2025
8 months ago

Trump halts ICE raids on certain industry sectors amid labor shortage concerns

President Donald Trump just slammed the brakes on ICE raids targeting farms, hotels, and restaurants. This surprising pivot, driven by industry pleas, reveals a rare moment of pragmatism in the administration’s immigration playbook. Yet, it’s stirring tension among hardline loyalists who crave unrelenting enforcement.

Trump’s decision, confirmed by three U.S. officials, pauses ICE operations at worksites like agriculture, hospitality, and meatpacking plants, as the Daily Mail reports. The move follows mounting pressure from farmers and hoteliers desperate to avoid labor shortages. It’s a stark contrast to the administration’s earlier zeal for mass deportations.

The order came Thursday via an email from ICE’s Tatum King to regional leaders. Agents were told to spare “noncriminal collaterals”—undocumented workers without criminal records. This shift blindsided ICE, which had been ramping up raids nationwide.

Agriculture’s plea sways Trump

Secretary of Agriculture Brooke Rollins played a pivotal role in swaying Trump. Farmers warned that deportations were gutting their workforce, threatening crops and livelihoods. Rollins’ influence underscores the economic weight of industries reliant on migrant labor.

Trump took to Truth Social, acknowledging the plight of farmers and hotel workers. “Our great Farmers and people in the Hotel and Leisure business have been stating that our very aggressive policy on immigration is taking very good, long-time workers away,” he posted. Sounds reasonable, but it’s a head-scratcher for those who cheered his border hawk persona.

At a press conference, Trump doubled down, calling these workers “great” despite their legal status. “We can’t take farmers and take all their people and send them back,” he said. This empathy clashes with the fiery rhetoric that once defined his base’s expectations.

ICE agents caught off guard

ICE agents, fresh off orders to intensify arrests, were stunned by the new guidance. Tatum King’s email admitted the pause would slash the number of potential arrest targets.

“We are eliminating a significant # of potential targets,” King wrote, signaling a dramatic policy U-turn.

The Department of Homeland Security quickly fell in line, vowing to follow Trump’s directive. Spokeswoman Tricia McLaughlin insisted the focus remains on “criminal illegal aliens.”

But scaling back raids on noncriminal migrants suggests a softer touch -- at least for now.

Meanwhile, anti-ICE protests have erupted, with Los Angeles seeing a week of demonstrations. The public’s outrage reflects the growing tension over immigration enforcement. Trump’s pause might cool some tempers, but it’s unlikely to silence the critics.

Miller’s hardline push remains

Inside the White House, Stephen Miller remains a relentless force for mass deportations. He’s pushing for 3,000 daily ICE arrests, targeting spots like Home Depot and 7-Eleven. Miller’s vision of an enforcement juggernaut grates against Trump’s newfound restraint.

On May 20, Miller berated ICE leaders, calling them “horrible” and demanding more aggressive action. “Why aren’t you at Home Depot?” he reportedly snapped. His frustration highlights a rift within the administration’s immigration strategy.

Trump’s base, fed on promises of border security, may bristle at this course correction. The pause risks alienating those who see any leniency as a betrayal of the MAGA ethos. Yet, Trump’s nod to economic realities shows a calculated pivot, not a surrender.

Balancing economics with enforcement

The hospitality and agriculture sectors, vital to America’s economy, rely heavily on undocumented labor.

Deporting these workers could cripple businesses already struggling post-pandemic. Trump’s decision reflects a grudging admission that ideology can’t trump practicality.

Still, the administration insists criminals remain in the crosshairs. “We must protect our Farmers, but get the CRIMINALS OUT,” Trump posted. It’s a tightrope walk -- appeasing industries while keeping the law-and-order crowd at bay.

This pause isn’t a policy overhaul but a tactical retreat. With Miller breathing down ICE’s neck and protests flaring, Trump’s juggling act is far from over. For now, farmers and hoteliers can breathe easier, but the immigration debate remains a powder keg.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Kamala Harris tops early 2028 Democrat primary polling as party searches for direction

Three years out from the next presidential election, Democrats are already polling their options — and the name at the top of the list should…
3 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

CENTCOM hammers over 30 ISIS targets in Syria as Operation Hawkeye Strike escalates

U.S. Central Command announced Saturday that Operation Hawkeye Strike carried out ten strikes against over thirty ISIS targets in Syria between February 3 and 12.…
3 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump blasts Bill Maher on Truth Social after late-night host mocks China hockey joke

President Trump unloaded on "Real Time" host Bill Maher in a lengthy Truth Social post Saturday, calling the television host a "highly overrated LIGHTWEIGHT" and…
3 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Iran's regime killed at least 19 Christians during January protests, watchdog reports

Iranian security forces shot and killed at least 19 Christians during last month's mass protests against the regime, according to a new report from Article…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

RFK Jr. calls fight against ultra-processed food a 'spiritual warfare' in Heritage Foundation address

HHS Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. stood before the Heritage Foundation on Monday and framed the federal government's campaign against ultra-processed food in terms rarely…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

DON'T WAIT.

We publish the objective news, period. If you want the facts, then sign up below and join our movement for objective news:

    LATEST NEWS

    Newsletter

    Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

      By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
      Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
      © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
      magnifier