BY Benjamin ClarkJune 24, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | June 24, 2025
8 months ago

Jimmy Swaggart remains in critical condition after heart attack, family asks for prayers

Longtime televangelist Jimmy Swaggart remains unconscious in a hospital intensive care unit following a severe cardiac arrest that occurred last week at his home.

According to the Christian Post, the 90-year-old preacher was found unresponsive on Sunday and has shown no signs of improvement, according to family and official statements shared since his hospitalization.

Swaggart, a well-known figure in Pentecostal circles and Christian television broadcasts, was discovered by his son, Donnie Swaggart, and grandson after suffering a heart attack and going into cardiac arrest. Emergency responders were called to the scene and he was transported to a local hospital where he was admitted into intensive care.

Son Offers Update During Church Service

Since being hospitalized, Swaggart has remained unconscious. According to a family spokesperson, there were no updates as of the Monday following the incident, and his condition remains critical with no change reported.

An official message was posted Monday on Jimmy Swaggart's Facebook page echoing the family's position. The message asked that people “continue to lift him up in prayer and believe God for a miracle — but above all, we trust in the Lord's perfect will.”

At a Wednesday evening service at Family Worship Center, Donnie Swaggart addressed the congregation with an emotional update. “Everything is still the same,” he told churchgoers, describing the circumstances as being “in a holding pattern.”

Swaggart’s Long Public Ministry

Jimmy Swaggart was born in 1935 and is a cousin of the late rock-and-roll music legend Jerry Lee Lewis. He started his evangelical work decades ago and became widely known through his radio and television preaching programs, which spanned across American households and international audiences.

He was once affiliated with the Assemblies of God, the largest Pentecostal denomination in the United States, and quickly rose to prominence due in part to his direct preaching style and use of media to promote his message. His fiery sermons and gospel performances drew millions of viewers every week in the 1980s.

However, his public image took a damaging hit in 1988 when he admitted to a moral failing involving a prostitute. As a result, he was defrocked by the Assemblies of God and forced to step down from his official denominational role.

Public Confession and Ministry Rebuilding

Following his removal, Swaggart issued a public apology. “I have no one but myself to blame,” he said in his widely televised statement. “No one is to blame but Jimmy Swaggart. I take the responsibility.”

His confession concluded with a plea to his fellow ministers and evangelists: “Please forgive me for sinning against you.” He acknowledged the toll his actions had taken on others within the religious broadcasting community.

Despite the incident, Swaggart continued preaching outside the formal structure of the Assemblies of God. He launched the SonLife Broadcasting Network in 2010, which carried his sermons, religious music, and teachings to a wide audience both domestically and internationally.

Family Emphasizes Faith Amid Uncertainty

As of this week, Swaggart’s condition has not improved. Donnie Swaggart addressed the spiritual aspect of his father’s hospitalization during Wednesday's church service, saying, “We do not question God, we do not blame God, we do not argue with God.”

He continued by reflecting on patience during trials. “We always want God to do things immediately and on our schedule,” he said. “But God's ways are not our ways.”

The Swaggart family has urged those who follow the ministry to keep the preacher in their prayers during this uncertain time, trusting in faith and waiting for signs of recovery.

Supporters Continue Hope for Recovery

Although his preaching has sparked both admiration and controversy over the decades, Jimmy Swaggart has remained a central figure in American evangelical broadcasting. His long career and continued influence have left an enduring mark on religious media.

The lack of change in his medical condition has sparked concern as well as public support from viewers, followers, and churchgoers who have watched his sermons and worship programs for generations.

Swaggart’s team has promised to release updates as they become available, but for now, the focus remains on prayer, faith, and the uncertain wait for progress in his recovery.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
4 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
4 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
4 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier