BY Benjamin ClarkJune 25, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | June 25, 2025
8 months ago

New church bombing in Damascus kills 22 Christians

A peaceful evening prayer turned into a scene of carnage on Sunday when an assailant affiliated with the Islamic State group attacked the Mar Elias Greek Orthodox Church in Damascus, Syria.

According to Crosswalk, Twenty-two Christians were killed and at least 63 others were injured when a man opened fire and detonated an explosive vest during a prayer gathering attended by around 350 worshippers.

The attack occurred in the capital city's Bab Touma neighborhood, which is home to several historic Christian communities. Worshippers had gathered at Mar Elias Church for a Sunday prayer when the violence unfolded.

Gunfire Followed By Explosion Inside Church

Eyewitnesses reported scenes of panic, shouting, and smoke. Lawrence Maamar, who survived the blast, told AFP that a man entered the church carrying a firearm and began shooting randomly at people inside the sanctuary.

“People tried to stop him before he blew himself up,” Maamar said, describing how the attacker detonated his vest shortly after firing into the crowd. The explosion ignited a fire and sent wooden church benches flying toward the entrance, according to another eyewitness standing outside the damaged building.

The immediate aftermath saw worshippers carrying the wounded out of the scorched church. Emergency personnel transferred 63 injured individuals to a nearby hospital in Damascus for treatment.

Suspected ISIS Role and Attack Methodology

Authorities believe the attack was carried out by two individuals connected to the Islamic State group. A Syrian security source told Reuters that the suicide bomber had help executing the assault, though only one detonated a vest.

This marks one of the deadliest attacks targeting the Christian community in Syria in recent years. While ISIS has previously targeted religious minority groups, including Christians, this bombing is notable for its scale and the choice of a worship setting during a religious service.

The Greek Foreign Ministry swiftly denounced the bombing, calling it an “abhorrent terrorist suicide” and requested that Syrian leaders take active steps to protect all religious communities from violence and discrimination.

Condemnation and Call for Greater Protection

In its official statement, the Greek government emphasized accountability and demanded immediate action from Syrian authorities. "We demand that the Syrian transitional authorities take immediate action to hold those involved accountable," the ministry stated.

The attack comes during a sensitive political transition in Syria. Ahmed al-Sharaa assumed interim leadership in January following the departure of longtime President Bashar al-Assad. Al-Sharaa has pledged to safeguard religious and ethnic minorities.

Syrian security officials believe extremists may be attempting to exploit the ongoing political instability to expand their operations and sow fear among Syria’s vulnerable populations.

Growing Global Concerns Over Resurgent Militants

Earlier this year, the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism warned that terror groups such as ISIS might increase attacks and recruiting efforts during Syria's government transition phase. The warning was issued in February amid concerns about weakening national security during power shifts.

UN Under-Secretary-General for Counter-Terrorism Vladimir Voronkov raised alarms that terrorist factions could gain access to advanced weapons stockpiles in ungoverned areas across the region, escalating their reach and capabilities.

Syria currently ranks 18th on Open Doors USA’s annual list of countries where Christians face high levels of persecution. The list evaluates conditions based on threats, violence, and societal discrimination against followers of Christianity.

Personal Stories From Survivors and Witnesses

Survivors of Sunday’s blast emphasized that they have never posed a threat to anyone. Issam Nasr, who attended the service, said, “We have never held a knife in our lives. All we ever carried were our prayers.”

Many survivors recounted the trauma of the scene, sharing images of burning pews and the echoing cries of the injured. Some worshippers were reportedly shielding others or trying to usher elderly congregants to safety when the explosion occurred.

The Mar Elias Greek Orthodox Church, considered a historic center for the city's Christian population, suffered extensive damage to its interior. Images released showed blackened walls, shattered stained glass windows, and emergency crews working through the night to sift through debris.

Political Stability Remains Fragile as Risk Lingers

The bombing has intensified fears among religious minorities and international observers about the fragility of Syria’s current political transition. Despite interim President al-Sharaa’s stated commitment to safeguard rights, extremist incidents continue to test the government’s ability to protect its civilians.

As investigations into the bombing continue, local leaders in Damascus are asking for increased security presence around places of worship. However, residents remain cautious, concerned that incidents like this may signal a wave of renewed violence targeting minorities.

Sunday’s attack stands as a reminder of the ongoing risks faced by Christian communities in conflict zones, particularly during moments of political uncertainty. Diplomatic calls for protection and justice are growing louder, but for many in Damascus, the impact of the violence will echo long after the smoke has cleared.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier