BY Benjamin ClarkJune 25, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | June 25, 2025
8 months ago

New Life pastor resigns over false statements on Morris abuse

The longtime senior pastor of New Life Church in Colorado Springs has resigned after church leaders accused him of making false public statements about his knowledge of past sexual abuse allegations involving another prominent pastor.

According to the Christian Post, Brady Boyd stepped down from his role on June 18, 2025, after New Life Church elders determined he misrepresented what he knew about the child sexual abuse of Cindy Clemishire, reportedly committed by former Gateway Church pastor Robert Morris in the 1980s.

New Life Church elders announced the decision during a congregational update on Sunday, stating that Boyd had been asked to resign due to what they called inaccurate statements regarding the abuse case, which occurred more than four decades ago, long before Boyd joined New Life.

Leaders Say Trust Broken by Inaccuracies

The elders explained that while Boyd did not take part in the abuse, his recent public comments undermined his leadership. “Trust is the currency of leadership,” the Board said in a prepared statement. They cited Boyd's remarks during a June 8 address in which he claimed he only learned in 2024 that Clemishire was 12 years old at the time of the abuse.

Church leaders reviewed that statement and concluded it was inaccurate. According to the elder board, Boyd had received information about Clemishire's abuse when he was being considered for New Life’s senior pastor role in 2007. They said the details he recently denied having were actually part of that original vetting process.

Referring to Boyd’s involvement, church officials emphasized that he had no role in the abuse itself. However, they said the integrity of his statements about his knowledge of the events caused “a break in trust” that ultimately led to the resignation request.

Details of Decades-Old Abuse Come to Light

The scandal traces back to December 25, 1982, when Morris, then a 20- or 21-year-old traveling evangelist, allegedly began sexually abusing 12-year-old Cindy Clemishire. The abuse reportedly lasted four and a half years. At the time, Morris held no position with New Life Church.

Clemishire, now 55, has recently brought a defamation lawsuit against Morris and Gateway Church, seeking over $1 million in damages. The suit accuses both Morris and church leaders of minimizing and mischaracterizing the abuse by portraying it as a consensual relationship rather than a criminal act involving a child.

New Life elders stated that in 2007, while considering Boyd for the senior pastor position, they were informed about the allegations and contacted Gateway Church for clarification. At the time, Gateway leaders assured them the abuse was known to Clemishire's family, the media, and legal advisors.

Church History and Former Connections Highlighted

Gateway Church also relayed that Morris had undergone a restoration process, and inaccurately claimed that Clemishire and her parents supported his return to ministry. Based on that information, New Life's search team concluded that Morris' misconduct did not implicate Boyd nor disqualify him from leadership.

Boyd previously served at Gateway from 2001 to 2007 during Morris's extensive tenure, which ended with Morris’ resignation in 2024. Although no direct evidence links Boyd to efforts to conceal the abuse, elders reiterated that his recent remarks contradicted what was known internally, leading them to initiate his resignation process.

Daniel Grothe has been selected as Boyd’s successor and will serve as the new senior pastor of New Life Church. Leaders expressed a mixture of regret and hope, mourning the circumstances while expressing confidence in the future direction of the church.

Lawsuit and Indictment Add to Fallout

The criminal and civil actions against Morris intensified in recent months. In March 2025, a multi-county Oklahoma grand jury indicted Morris on five counts of lewd or indecent acts with a child related to the abuse of Clemishire.

The civil suit also names Clemishire’s father, Jerry Lee Clemishire, as co-plaintiff. It alleges church representatives knowingly made false and damaging public statements in 2024 to downplay the abuse and protect the church’s image.

In a separate but related matter, Gateway Church removed multiple elders in late 2024 after an internal investigation revealed that all but three had failed to properly address or report the allegations. Some were reportedly aware of Clemishire's age long before the abuse became a public issue.

Church Confronts Past and Looks Ahead

In their statement, the New Life elder board acknowledged a complex blend of emotions within the congregation, including grief and gratitude. They thanked Boyd for his years of service, while also extending support to Clemishire and committing to transparency moving forward.

“This is a time of mixed emotions,” they said, pledging prayerful support for Clemishire’s healing and noting that their past relationship with Morris was deeply regretted. The church organization expressed hope for accountability and justice as the situation unfolds.

Alongside her legal pursuits, Clemishire testified before the Texas House Judiciary and Civil Jurisprudence Committee in support of a bill that would restrict the use of nondisclosure agreements in civil settlements involving child sexual abuse and trafficking.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier