BY Benjamin ClarkJune 28, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | June 28, 2025
8 months ago

Shock announcement at Arizona concert upends band’s future

Newsboys removed from label over Tait claims

The Newsboys were dropped by their record label and removed from live events and radio airplay following sexual misconduct allegations involving their former frontman, Michael Tait.

According to CBN, the fallout, which began after media investigations into Tait's past were published in June, has impacted the remaining members and raised concerns over accountability within the Christian music industry.

On June 29, during a concert at Highlands Church in Scottsdale, Arizona, Newsboys frontman Adam Agee broke the news to fans that the band had been let go by their label. Appearing shaken on stage, Agee also shared that radio stations had ceased playing their songs and that show cancellations had begun worldwide.

Tait’s abrupt exit created unanswered questions

Michael Tait exited the group suddenly in January 2025. At the time, he cited personal struggles, told the band he had “been living a double life” and needed to focus on himself, though he did not elaborate further.

The Newsboys had presumed that Tait was dealing with issues related to substance use. According to Agee, the band only knew of what he called “personal struggles,” and nothing that might suggest danger to others.

“That’s not the guy we knew,” Agee told the audience, describing Tait as a close friend and someone whom their families trusted. “It’s hurt our kids,” he added, referencing the emotional toll the scandal has taken.

Investigations brought decades of allegations to light

In June, separate reports by The Roys Report and The Guardian revealed longstanding allegations of sexual misconduct by Tait, some going back to earlier points in his career. The publications compiled testimonies from individuals within the Christian music scene who had long suspected—or known—about troubling behavior.

More than two dozen insiders told The Guardian that they had heard of accusations against Tait previously. The revelations raised further concerns over culture and accountability in the industry.

Tait responded to the articles in a public post, where he acknowledged “unwanted” physical contact with men, as well as past struggles with alcohol and drug use. Prior to fronting the Newsboys for nearly 15 years, Tait was a founding member of DC Talk.

Public and industry reactions were swift and severe

The band’s label, Capitol Christian Music Group, cut ties with the Newsboys shortly after the findings became public. This move came just three weeks after the deluxe edition release of their latest album, World Wide Revival.

Christian radio networks, including K-LOVE, removed all existing music by both the Newsboys and DC Talk from their playlists. This eliminated one of the band’s main avenues for reaching listeners.

Faith Live, a Canadian concert promoter, also removed the band from its Worldwide Revival Nights tour. According to a social media statement, the organization only learned after hiring the band that Tait’s exit had deeper layers.

Promoter cites "serious concerns" tied to exit

Faith Live said the “initial excitement” around booking the Newsboys had been strong. However, they later received credible information about why Tait had left, which they claimed was not revealed to them during negotiations.

They stopped short of publicly speculating but said the facts now “raised serious concerns” for them as a faith-based promoter. Industry insiders have echoed the sentiment, stating Tait’s actions were not an isolated case.

Christian artist Cory Asbury said on social media that “everyone knew” something was wrong, even if specifics remained unclear. Apologist Mike Winger criticized what he described as a protective culture that discourages whistleblowing within the Christian music scene.

The remaining band members try to move forward

Since Tait’s departure in January, the remaining members—Agee, Jeff Frankenstein, Duncan Phillips, and Jody Davis—have tried to continue performing. They hoped to sustain what they considered their spiritual mission.

Despite cancellations and being dropped from festivals like the Elevate Music Festival, the Newsboys expressed belief in the value of their concerts and ministry. “We have seen the most amazing people,” Agee told attendees during his announcement in Arizona.

Agee also acknowledged that the turmoil has left deep emotional scars on the band’s families and support teams, noting that being connected to Tait has damaged their reputations and harmed trust in their audience relationships.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
12 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
12 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
12 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier