BY Benjamin ClarkJuly 1, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | July 1, 2025
8 months ago

Camp counselor arrested after threats of mass violence at Texas youth retreat

A Christian camp in Livingston, Texas, was shaken after one of its counselors allegedly threatened to carry out a mass shooting resembling the 1999 Columbine tragedy.

Mario Bernal, a 23-year-old counselor at Camp Cho-Yeh, was arrested and charged after allegedly making violent threats toward campers and staff, with additional unrelated sex crime allegations filed against him from an earlier incident this year, Daily Mail reported.

Camp Cho-Yeh, a long-running Christian summer program in East Texas, became the focus of a criminal investigation after Bernal, a counselor originally from Vernal, Utah, made alarming remarks to young campers. According to an arrest affidavit, Bernal told children at the camp he would commit a shooting similar to the Columbine High School massacre if they provoked him or made him upset.

The Columbine shooting is one of the most well-known school shootings in U.S. history. On April 20, 1999, two high school students killed 12 classmates and a teacher, injuring many others before dying by suicide. Bernal allegedly referenced this deadly event when telling campers they would be the target of similar violence if he felt disrespected or angered.

Reports state that Bernal repeated the threats when camp administrators moved to terminate his employment. During a meeting about his possible dismissal, he allegedly stated that he would “clock himself out,” insinuating potential self-harm, and warned he would “not go down by himself.”

Camp Staff Report Prior Disciplinary Problems

Information gathered in the investigation shows Bernal's time at the camp had already attracted concern. His behavior came under scrutiny before the threats, following an incident where he reportedly locked several campers in a room without ventilation. The room became dangerously hot, and he refused to let the children leave as a punishment.

This disciplinary dispute added to the urgency for camp officials to take action. It was during this process that Bernal's threatening comments reportedly escalated. When officials informed him of his termination, he again alluded to retaliatory violence, particularly if the camp sought legal consequences against him.

Concerns grew when local police were tipped off that Bernal might be attempting to flee the area. Authorities received reports from witnesses alleging that he planned to leave for Houston with his girlfriend, who was also employed at Camp Cho-Yeh at the time.

Arrest Near Camp Prevents Escape

Mario Bernal was located and arrested by Livingston Police near the entrance to Camp Cho-Yeh. Law enforcement moved quickly to detain him before he could carry out any plans to evade custody.

The 23-year-old was handed over to the Polk County Sheriff's Office, which is leading the investigation into the case. He was formally charged with making what Texas law classifies as a “terroristic threat impeding public service,” a serious felony offense.

Bernal was booked into the Polk County Jail following his arrest. As of this writing, his bail has been set at $50,000. There are no reports that he possessed weapons or took steps to carry out the threats beyond verbal statements.

Unrelated Sex Crime Case Adds to Legal Trouble

In addition to the criminal threats, Bernal is facing separate charges stemming from a different incident that occurred earlier in the year. Prosecutors in Texas have filed a case related to alleged sexual misconduct that took place in March.

According to officials, Bernal is accused of forcibly kissing and inappropriately touching a woman in a car after she asked him to stop. The woman reportedly made repeated attempts to resist his actions and told him to stop multiple times.

The criminal complaint relating to the sexual misconduct was formally filed on May 8. While this case is not connected to his employment or the camp incidents, it adds another layer of legal jeopardy for the now-former counselor.

Community Left Reeling by Shocking Allegations

Camp Cho-Yeh, which serves hundreds of children each summer, has not issued a public statement as of yet regarding the incident or their plans to ensure camper safety. It is unclear whether Bernal had previous employment in similar youth-serving roles before joining the camp.

The nature of the threats, invoking a notorious school shooting, has left parents and community members deeply unsettled. Local authorities emphasized the importance of speaking up when such comments are made, especially around children or vulnerable individuals.

Police credited camp witnesses, likely including staff and campers, for coming forward with timely information that allowed them to intervene before any harm could occur. The investigation is ongoing, and more details may emerge as official proceedings continue.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
21 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
21 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
21 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier