Planned Parenthood loses funding for one year as pro-life groups press on
Congress took a major step in the contentious battle over abortion funding Thursday with the passage of a budget bill that halts Medicaid funding to Planned Parenthood for one year.
Pro-life organizations are hailing the bill’s passage as a major if temporary, achievement in the long-running effort to permanently strip federal funds from Planned Parenthood, Breitbart reported.
The legislation, dubbed the “Big, Beautiful Bill,” advanced through Congress via the budget reconciliation process, allowing it to pass in the Senate with a simple majority and avoid the filibuster rule that typically requires 60 votes. This procedural tactic has been used by Republican lawmakers in prior efforts to curb federal funding for abortion providers.
The defunding provision within the bill stops the flow of federal Medicaid dollars to Planned Parenthood for a single year. Though many Republican lawmakers initially pushed for a 10-year defunding period, negotiations in the Senate resulted in a shorter timeline that nevertheless satisfied many anti-abortion advocates.
Supporters of the bill argue that taxpayer dollars should not flow to any organization involved in providing abortions—even though the Hyde Amendment already prohibits direct federal funding for the procedure itself. Pro-life organizations have long contended that public funds still support abortion providers in other ways, such as through Medicaid reimbursements for non-abortion services.
Pro-life reaction to the bill's passage
Kristan Hawkins, president of Students for Life Action, said the bill proves that blocking taxpayer funds from abortion providers is possible. While she expressed disappointment that the measure lasts only one year, she argued it could become a stepping stone for future legislative victories.
“It’s disappointing that rather than a 10-year stop in funding, we have only a one-year pause,” Hawkins said. “But that one year shows that the one thing Planned Parenthood most fears can happen. Now, we all know that it’s possible to tell them, ‘You’re fired.’”
Hawkins added that the upcoming midterm elections will likely reignite debate over the issue, emphasizing the need for more permanent solutions such as debarment—a legal process that would prevent an organization from receiving federal contracts or funding altogether.
Lila Rose, the president of Live Action, called the development a key moment in the pro-life movement’s decades-long campaign. She emphasized that the end goal remains total defunding and the closure of facilities that perform abortions.
Funding impacts and future outlook
The temporary measure is expected to redirect more than $500 million away from Planned Parenthood, according to pro-life groups. Planned Parenthood previously reported receiving over $792 million in taxpayer support during the 2023–2024 fiscal year, with more than 400,000 abortions performed in that timeframe.
Marjorie Dannenfelser, head of SBA Pro-Life America, framed the legislation as an unprecedented step by Congress to block Medicaid funds from reaching abortion providers. She tied the bill’s impact to a recent Supreme Court decision affirming the rights of states to restrict such funding themselves.
“Combined with last week’s Supreme Court decision empowering states to do the same, this represents tremendous progress toward achieving a decades-long goal,” Dannenfelser said. “Women are far better served at federally qualified health centers, which outnumber Planned Parenthood locations 15 to 1.”
Ongoing activism and permanent goals
Felipe Avila, with the National Association of Pro-Life Nurses, celebrated the bill as a win for both patients and healthcare providers. He warned, however, that continued taxpayer funding—even indirectly—keeps risks in place for vulnerable communities.
“Cutting funding for a year is a start,” said Avila. “But as long as taxpayer dollars are funneling into Planned Parenthood’s bottom line, the job isn’t done. Debar them. Shut it down for good.”
Katie Brown Xavios of the American Life League was more critical, saying that the limited timeframe amounts to little more than a token gesture. She emphasized the need for lawmakers to demonstrate a stronger commitment to protecting “every unborn child.”
The final version of the bill followed months of lobbying by conservative advocacy groups and prominent voices in the pro-life movement, including former President Donald Trump. Demonstrations and rallies, such as those outside the U.S. Supreme Court in March, have kept the issue in the public eye.
Political implications and next steps
Though the funding cut is temporary, the legislative win is likely to influence political discourse heading into the next election cycle. With the midterms approaching, pro-life groups are expected to increase pressure on lawmakers to pursue long-term restrictions and further action on federal funding streams.
While Planned Parenthood has warned that the funding halt could lead to the closure of 200 health centers and negatively affect over a million low-income patients, pro-life leaders argue that existing healthcare alternatives are better suited to provide comprehensive care.
From legal strategies such as debarment to renewed legislative proposals, anti-abortion advocates are signaling their intention to keep pushing forward. For supporters of the “Big, Beautiful Bill,” the debate over taxpayer funding for abortion providers is far from over.




