BY Benjamin ClarkJuly 8, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | July 8, 2025
8 months ago

Li priest charged in groping case as Long Island Diocese Faces ongoing sex abuse fallout

A Catholic priest on Long Island has been arrested in connection with allegations he sexually abused a woman inside a church rectory earlier this year.

Rev. John Adjei-Boamah of St. Catherine of Sienna Roman Catholic Church in Franklin Square faces misdemeanor charges of forcible touching and sexual abuse, adding a fresh scandal to the already embattled Diocese of Rockville Centre, New York Post reported.

Authorities say the incident occurred on March 6 when Adjei-Boamah allegedly touched a woman inappropriately inside the church's rectory kitchen. The woman, whose identity has not been publicly disclosed, reported the incident months later, prompting law enforcement to take action.

Diocese reports complaint to authorities in late May

The Diocese of Rockville Centre, which oversees St. Catherine of Sienna parish, stated that it became aware of the accusation on May 30. According to diocesan spokesman Rev. Eric Fasano, church officials "immediately reported the priest upon learning of the incident." The same statement was included in the parish’s bulletin.

Nassau County Police confirmed that they received a report on the matter on June 6. Soon after, Adjei-Boamah was charged with two misdemeanor counts related to sexual misconduct and was arraigned in court. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Detective Lt. Scott Skrynecki said the priest was released following his arraignment, and a judge issued an order of protection for the alleged victim. The police have not released further details about the ongoing investigation.

About the accused and his background in ministry

Adjei-Boamah, 43, is a native of Ghana and was ordained in 2011. He began his ministry in the United States after emigrating from Ghana’s Diocese of Konongo-Mampong. In June 2023, he joined the parish at St. Catherine of Sienna in Franklin Square.

Since being charged, Adjei-Boamah is no longer participating in public ministry. The Diocese stated, “Father Adjei Boamah will be stepping away from all ministries during the review of this matter.”

The bulletin also acknowledged the emotional toll on the local congregation, stating, “We understand that this is very upsetting news. Thank you for your understanding and prayers.”

Charges surface amid wider abuse crisis in the diocese

Adjei-Boamah’s arrest comes at a sensitive time for the Diocese of Rockville Centre, which has been mired in a broader sexual abuse crisis for years. The Diocese filed for bankruptcy protection in 2020 after facing hundreds of lawsuits tied to decades of clergy abuse.

In December 2023, the Diocese agreed to a $323 million settlement to resolve claims from abuse survivors. The agreement marked one of the largest payouts by a Catholic diocese in the United States in response to sexual abuse allegations.

The scandal has put continued public scrutiny on the Diocese’s handling of abuse reports and its commitment to transparency and prevention moving forward.

Fallout may deepen skepticism among parishioners

For parishioners at St. Catherine of Sienna, the arrest of a current clergy member under these circumstances may deepen concerns about institutional protections already in place. The Diocese has not indicated when or if Adjei-Boamah might return to ministry, emphasizing that the matter remains under review.

Supporters of the alleged victim and advocacy groups for abuse survivors have frequently voiced skepticism about the Church’s internal processes for addressing misconduct. This latest charge may renew calls for external oversight and reforms.

While no additional charges have been announced against Adjei-Boamah at this time, authorities noted that the investigation remains active. The Diocese has said it will continue cooperating with police.

Diocese’s handling puts focus on transparency

The statement from the Diocese also highlighted its efforts to handle the matter responsibly. By reporting the incident shortly after it was brought to their attention, diocesan officials appear to be following protocols meant to prevent cover-ups.

Nonetheless, critics may question why there was a nearly three-month gap between the alleged March incident and the Diocese learning about it in late May. Those details have not yet been clarified by either Church officials or investigators.

Until legal proceedings conclude, the case against Rev. Adjei-Boamah will remain a closely watched development in an institution still reckoning with its past and attempting to rebuild trust among the faithful.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

CBS yanks Colbert interview with Texas Democrat, blames FCC equal-time rule

Stephen Colbert's "Late Show" was told by CBS lawyers it could not air an interview with Texas state representative James Talarico, a Democrat running for…
14 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Armed 18-year-old in tactical vest arrested after rushing US Capitol with loaded shotgun

An 18-year-old wearing a tactical vest and armed with a loaded shotgun ran toward the US Capitol on Tuesday before being intercepted by Capitol Police…
14 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Justice Alito's retirement rumors build on speculation, not substance

Washington's legal commentariat has a new parlor game: guessing whether Justice Samuel Alito plans to step down from the Supreme Court. The speculation has generated…
14 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Republican states fast-track felony penalties for church service disruptions after the Minnesota storming

Legislatures across the country are racing to upgrade penalties for disrupting worship services, with multiple Republican-led states introducing or signing bills that would make storming…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Ohio mother and volleyball coach was shot dead in a home invasion as police hunt for the suspect

Ashley Flynn, a 37-year-old mother of two, substitute teacher, and middle school volleyball coach, was found dead inside her Tipp City, Ohio, home early Monday…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier