BY Benjamin ClarkOctober 1, 2025
5 months ago
BY 
 | October 1, 2025
5 months ago

Former National Guard member charged in fatal Texas casino shooting

A former Texas Army National Guard member has been arrested and charged in connection with a deadly shooting at a popular casino in Eagle Pass, Texas.

Keyran Rashad Jones, 34, faces capital murder and assault charges after an early Sunday shooting at the Kickapoo Lucky Eagle Casino that left two people dead and one seriously injured, leading to a high-speed police chase near San Antonio, as Breitbart reports.

The deadly incident took place early Sunday morning at the Kickapoo Lucky Eagle Casino, located just south of Eagle Pass. Authorities say the suspect, identified as Keyran Rashad Jones from San Antonio, allegedly opened fire inside the casino, killing two individuals and injuring several others.

The victims who lost their lives were Marcus “Mark” Antley, a retired U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer from Eagle Pass, and Alicia Sanchez, who lived in Dimmit County. One of the surviving victims remains hospitalized in San Antonio but is expected to recover, officials said.

According to Maverick County Sheriff Tom Schmerber, the suspect has been charged with two counts of capital murder and five counts of assault with a deadly weapon. The motive behind the attack has not yet been determined, and the investigation remains ongoing.

Deadly Shooting Leads to Manhunt

Following the shooting, law enforcement launched a search for Jones, who had fled the scene. The manhunt included the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Texas Department of Public Safety Highway Patrol. Authorities say they discovered his identity after executing a search warrant at his residence on Patricia Road in San Antonio later that same day.

Later on Sunday, troopers from the Texas Highway Patrol located Jones near San Antonio. Upon attempting to stop his vehicle, a high-speed chase ensued. During the pursuit, officers reportedly discharged their weapons near a convenience store in Stockdale, Texas, in an attempt to stop the suspect’s vehicle.

Jones managed to continue fleeing for some time even though his vehicle had been partially disabled during the encounter. It was eventually brought to a stop by law enforcement using tactical methods.

Capture Involves Multiple Law Enforcement Agencies

The pursuit ended when officers from the Wilson County Sheriff’s Office and Texas Highway Patrol troopers performed a 'pit maneuver'—a controlled technique used to stop fleeing vehicles. Following the maneuver, they used a Taser device to subdue and apprehend Jones.

No further injuries were reported during the arrest. Authorities took Jones into custody without any additional incidents, though details about his behavior during the pursuit have not been disclosed.

Sheriff Schmerber emphasized the severity of the charges Jones is facing. “Jones is charged with two counts of capital murder for his suspected role in the shooting,” he told reporters, speaking on the record on Sunday. He noted that additional charges include several counts related to the use of a firearm during the incident.

Community Reeling as Motive Remains Unknown

Sheriff Schmerber stated that he could not currently provide further information about the possible motive for the attack. “Jones is also facing five counts of assault with a deadly weapon,” he confirmed in a separate interview with Breitbart Texas.

The Kickapoo Lucky Eagle Casino is a well-known entertainment venue in Eagle Pass and draws visitors from various regions. News of the violent incident has deeply shaken the local community as well as casino employees and patrons who were present at the time.

Residents of both Eagle Pass and Dimmit County have expressed shock over the tragedy, as those who lost their lives held significant ties to their communities. Antley’s past service with U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Sanchez’s local roots have added further poignancy to the tragedy.

Suspect’s Connections Under Investigation

Jones’ background as a former member of the Texas Army National Guard has also prompted further investigation by authorities. Officials have not suggested any connection between his former service and the shooting at this time.

The FBI has taken part in the broader investigation, focusing not only on the immediate events of Sunday morning but also on any potential factors that may have contributed to the violence. Officials did not immediately disclose whether the firearms used in the attack were legally owned.

With the suspect now in custody, law enforcement agencies continue gathering evidence to present a comprehensive case to prosecutors. The charges, especially two counts of capital murder, could carry the most severe legal consequences under Texas law if Jones is convicted.

Next Steps in Legal Proceedings

Officials have not provided a timeline for Jones' initial court appearance or possible arraignment. Legal experts expect proceedings to begin in the coming days once formal charges are filed in court and evidence is reviewed.

In the meantime, the Maverick County Sheriff’s Office remains in charge of coordinating with state and federal agencies on the ongoing criminal investigation. Police have urged anyone with information related to the case to come forward.

As the community searches for answers, officials remain focused on identifying what led to the violence and ensuring justice is served for the victims and their families. The Kickapoo Lucky Eagle Casino has not commented publicly but confirmed that operations will continue under enhanced security protocols.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
1 hour ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
1 hour ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
1 hour ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier