BY Benjamin ClarkFebruary 21, 2026
2 hours ago
BY 
 | February 21, 2026
2 hours ago

Trump pledges $10 billion for Board of Peace as nine nations commit $7 billion for Gaza stabilization

President Donald Trump opened the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace on Thursday in Washington with a pair of announcements that reframed the entire conversation around Gaza's future: nine member nations have pledged $7 billion toward a Gaza relief package, and five countries have agreed to deploy troops as part of an international stabilization force for the territory. The United States, Trump added, would commit $10 billion to the board itself.

Nearly 50 countries and the European Union sent officials to the gathering. More than a dozen countries that have not joined the board attended as observers. Leaders, including Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto, Argentine President Javier Milei, and Hungarian President Viktor Orbán, traveled to Washington for the event.

The message from the room was unmistakable: the old international order failed to solve this. Something new is being built.

The Shape of the Force

Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers, tapped to lead the newly created International Stabilization Force, outlined the scope of the operation. Plans call for 12,000 police and 20,000 soldiers to provide security in Gaza, with troops initially deployed to Rafah.

"With these first steps, we help bring the security that Gaza needs for a future of prosperity and enduring peace."

Egypt and Jordan have committed to training police for the effort. Turkey's Foreign Affairs Minister Hakan Fidan said his country was also prepared to contribute troops, though he cautioned that the situation remains precarious, as Fox 4 Now reports.

"The humanitarian situation remains fragile and ceasefire violations continue to occur. A prompt, coordinated and effective response is therefore essential."

None of this materialized from goodwill alone. Trump has ordered one of the largest U.S. military buildups in the region in decades. One aircraft carrier group is already there; another is on the way. That kind of posture tends to focus minds at negotiating tables.

A Direct Challenge to the U.N.

The Board of Peace is not just a new diplomatic initiative. It is a structural rebuke of the institution that was supposed to handle exactly this kind of crisis and never could.

Trump made the point explicitly:

"Someday I won't be here. The United Nations will be. I think it is going to be much stronger, and the Board of Peace is going to almost be looking over the United Nations and making sure it runs properly."

The timing underscored the dynamic. The U.N. Security Council held a high-level meeting on Wednesday on the ceasefire deal and Israel's efforts to expand control in the West Bank. That session was originally scheduled for Thursday but was moved up because of travel complications after Trump announced the board's meeting for the same date. The world's legacy diplomatic body rearranged its calendar to avoid a scheduling conflict with the new one.

Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican Secretary of State, told reporters earlier in the week that "at the international level it should above all be the U.N. that manages these crises." A reasonable sentiment in theory. In practice, two years of war between Israel and Hamas produced an October ceasefire that remains fragile and a reconstruction bill estimated at $70 billion. The U.N. managed none of it.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot went further, posting on X that the European Commission should never have attended Thursday's meeting, arguing it had no mandate to do so. European irritation at being sidelined is not the same as European effectiveness at solving problems. The distinction matters.

Demilitarization First

The money and the troops are the headline. Demilitarization is the hinge on which everything turns.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu repeated his position at a dusty army base in southern Israel: "There will be no reconstruction" of Gaza before demilitarization. Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar reinforced the point during Thursday's ceremony:

"There must be a fundamental deradicalization process."

Trump said Hamas has promised to disarm. He also made clear what happens if that promise breaks. The group would be met "very harshly." He warned Tehran directly that it faces American military action if it does not denuclearize, give up ballistic missiles, and halt funding to extremist proxy groups.

"We have to make a meaningful deal. Otherwise bad things happen."

A U.S. official acknowledged the administration is "under no illusions on the challenges regarding demilitarization." Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there is a "long way to go" and that the effort will require contributions from every nation represented.

"There's a lot of work that remains that will require the contribution of every nation state represented here today."

Diplomacy Backed by Leverage

What separates this initiative from the standard international conference circuit is the element that usually goes unspoken: consequences. Trump's 20-point peace plan is not a wishlist circulated at a summit and forgotten by Monday. It is backed by carrier groups, troop commitments, and a president who said plainly of holdout nations:

"Almost everybody's accepted, and the ones that haven't, will be. And some are playing a little cute — it doesn't work. You can't play cute with me."

Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif called Trump the "savior of South Asia." That kind of rhetoric from a head of state reflects something real about the current balance of diplomatic gravity. Nations are not attending these meetings out of obligation to multilateral norms. They are attending because the United States, under this president, is the actor with both the resources and the will to reshape the region.

The $10 billion U.S. pledge would need to be authorized by Congress. Trump offered no details on when the pledges from other nations would be implemented or what specifically the American funds would cover. Those are real questions that will need real answers.

But the frame has shifted. The question is no longer whether the international community will act on Gaza. It is whether the international community can keep up with the pace being set by Washington.

"Every dollar spent is an investment in stability and the hope of new and harmonious (region). The Board of Peace is showing how a better future can be built right here in this room."

The room, for once, seemed to agree.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump pledges $10 billion for Board of Peace as nine nations commit $7 billion for Gaza stabilization

President Donald Trump opened the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace on Thursday in Washington with a pair of announcements that reframed the entire…
2 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Ethics probe into Rep. Tony Gonzales concludes over alleged staffer affair, but report frozen before primary

The Office of Congressional Conduct has completed its investigation into Rep. Tony Gonzales (R-TX) over an alleged affair with a congressional staffer who set herself…
2 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump sets 10-day deadline for Iran as administration positions military assets and tightens pressure

President Trump has given Iran a 10-to-15-day window to come to the table on its nuclear program, a deadline that functions as both ultimatum and…
2 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Texarkana Pastor Faces Five Rape Charges in Shocking Arrest

Cedric M. Sharp, the 51-year-old pastor of Bright Star Missionary Baptist Church in Texarkana, Arkansas, was arrested on February 11 and charged with five counts…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Democrats Face Backlash for Snubbing Ash Wednesday in Favor of Ramadan, Lunar New Year

The Democrat Party has ignited a firestorm of criticism for failing to acknowledge Ash Wednesday, a sacred day for millions of Christians, while prominently celebrating…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier