BY Benjamin ClarkJanuary 2, 2026
1 month ago
BY 
 | January 2, 2026
1 month ago

Abortion provider ends court battle over taxpayer funding in major legal shift

Another legal battle over abortion funding quietly ended as Maine Family Planning walked away from its court appeal, as WND reports.

The organization’s decision to drop its challenge marks a critical win for lawmakers and advocates who insist taxpayer dollars shouldn’t be used to bankroll abortion providers.

Under the leadership of President Donald Trump, Congress enacted spending measures explicitly designed to halt federal funds from flowing to organizations that offer or promote abortion services.

Congressional Funding Protections Upheld In Court

Predictably, abortion providers challenged the budget provisions in federal court, claiming they had a constitutional right to public subsidies. The courts saw it differently.

Maine Family Planning initially sought emergency relief from these changes, asking a district judge to reinstate its access to taxpayer money while the case unfolded. Judge Lance Walker said no.

After losing in the lower court, MFP pursued an appeal—until it didn’t. On December 18, the organization and opposing parties filed a joint stipulation of dismissal, effectively abandoning the case.

Legal Momentum Favors Legislative Spending Authority

This retreat didn’t happen in a vacuum. The First Circuit Court of Appeals had already delivered a unanimous decision upholding the very same defunding measures in a separate case involving Planned Parenthood.

The court’s decision wiped out lower court injunctions that threatened the funding rules and reinforced Congress’s authority to define where and how taxpayer resources are spent.

The American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), which submitted a friend-of-the-court brief in the case, called the decision a decisive message against what it described as “forced government sponsorship of abortion.”

Abortion Industry Feels Pressure Of Funding Loss

"The joint stipulation of dismissal, filed December 18, brings to a close yet another attempt by the abortion industry to demand public funding for the murder of the unborn,” said the ACLJ in a statement.

Strong words, maybe, but the underlying point is clear: this is more than a legal loss—it’s a rhetorical and practical blow to abortion advocacy groups that have long relied on government funding streams to support their operations.

As the ACLJ noted, this turn of events underscores that “the era of guaranteed taxpayer subsidies is ending.” If that prediction bears out, it signals a fundamental recalibration of how such organizations are financed moving forward.

Courtrooms Reject “Constitutional Right” To Funding

The notion that any private entity, regardless of its mission, is owed a slice of public coffers simply because it exists is not a constitutional guarantee—something the courts seem eager to remind us.

“The ACLJ helped secure that decisive victory against Planned Parenthood – vacating lower court injunctions and affirming Congress's spending authority. Maine Family Planning has now stopped pursuing its appeal of a parallel challenge,” the organization added in its report.

In other words, legal momentum is swinging toward lawmakers who set budgetary policy, not toward activist judges rewriting spending rules from the bench.

Taxpayer Dollars Sent Elsewhere Without Apology

This development won’t end the larger cultural debate, but it clarifies the legal one: public funds are not an entitlement, especially when the spending promotes policies millions of Americans find morally objectionable.

The legislative intent behind the original defunding measures was simple: stop compelling citizens to contribute financially to procedures they believe end human life.

As the ACLJ powerfully put it, “Every human life possesses inherent dignity and worth from the moment of conception. For too long, American taxpayers have been forced to subsidize an industry that destroys hundreds of thousands of innocent lives each year.”

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Maryland legislature votes to bar local police from cooperating with ICE

Maryland's General Assembly approved two emergency bills that would prohibit state and local agencies from entering into immigration enforcement agreements with federal authorities — and…
10 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Virginia Supreme Court upholds Marine's adoption of Afghan war orphan, overturning two lower courts

The Virginia Supreme Court ruled Thursday that U.S. Marine Joshua Mast and his wife Stephanie will keep an Afghan child they brought home years ago…
10 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump's negotiators warn Iran deal 'difficult to impossible' as second carrier strike group heads to the region

President Trump's chief negotiators on Iran have delivered a blunt assessment: history says a good deal with Tehran's rulers may be unachievable. Steve Witkoff, the…
10 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Puerto Rico signs law recognizing unborn children as human beings under the penal code

Puerto Rican Gov. Jenniffer González-Colón signed the Keishla Madlane Law on Thursday, amending the territory's penal code to include the killing of unborn babies within…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump Religious Liberty Commission removes Carrie Prejean Boller after she derailed an antisemitism hearing

Carrie Prejean Boller, the former Miss California turned Catholic activist, was removed from President Trump's White House Religious Liberty Commission on Wednesday after she hijacked…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

DON'T WAIT.

We publish the objective news, period. If you want the facts, then sign up below and join our movement for objective news:

    LATEST NEWS

    Newsletter

    Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

      By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
      Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
      © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
      magnifier