BY Benjamin ClarkMay 30, 2025
9 months ago
BY 
 | May 30, 2025
9 months ago

California adjusts sports rules after trans athlete controversy

California’s top high school sports authority announced a significant policy change this week, following a federal funding threat from former President Donald Trump over the inclusion of a transgender athlete in girls’ track and field competitions.

According to the Christian Post, the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) unveiled a new pilot program that will expand access to state championships for more biological female athletes, after Trump condemned the state for allowing transgender participation in girls’ events.

The controversy escalated when Trump took to his Truth Social platform on Tuesday to criticize a transgender junior at Jurupa Valley High School, understood to be AB Hernandez, who recently won multiple girls’ events at the CIF Southern Section Masters Meet.

Trump Blasts California Policy, Threatens Funding

In his online comments, Trump said the athlete had been “less than average” before identifying as female, but now dominates the field. He labeled the situation “demeaning to women and girls” and said California’s policies violate a February executive order banning male trans-identified athletes from women’s sports.

The former president warned that the federal government could withhold substantial funding “permanently” if California failed to follow the federal guidance. He also indicated he may direct local officials to intervene at the state finals to prevent the athlete from competing.

Though he did not identify Hernandez by name, Trump’s comments were understood to refer to the student who recently qualified for the state championship by winning the long jump and triple jump at the Southern Section meet.

State Leaders and CIF Respond to Public Pressure

On Wednesday, Trump tried to speak with California Gov. Gavin Newsom, but the two were unable to connect. Newsom’s office later said the governor expects to speak with Trump soon about the escalating controversy.

In response, the CIF released a statement announcing a new pilot entry rule for the 2025 state track and field championships. The organization emphasized that the change was designed to increase access for biological female athletes who just missed qualifying.

According to the CIF, the policy allows athletes who met the next-best qualifying standard—but were displaced in results by a transgender competitor—to enter the championship meet regardless of whether they achieved the state’s at-large mark.

Mixed Reactions From Officials and Activists

The federation described the new process as a way to maintain participation opportunities for girls while navigating a divisive issue. A statement read, “The CIF believes this pilot entry process achieves the participation opportunities we seek to afford our student-athletes.”

Izzy Gardon, a spokesperson for Gov. Newsom, described the CIF’s approach as fair and respectful. “The Governor is encouraged by this thoughtful approach,” Gardon stated, calling it a “reasonable” method for upholding fairness in girls’ sports.

However, critics from conservative advocacy groups argued the changes don’t go far enough. The California Family Council (CFC), a group aligned with Trump’s stance, condemned the CIF, calling its recent policy shift a desperate attempt at “damage control.”

Conservative Criticism Gains Momentum

Sophia Lorey, a former CIF athlete and CFC’s outreach director, said, “Boys don't belong in girls’ sports.” She accused the CIF of undermining fairness for girls by allowing transgender athletes to compete.

Greg Burt, vice president of CFC, echoed that sentiment. He argued that each time a trans athlete is allowed to compete in the girls’ division, it diminishes the legitimacy of female athletes' accomplishments.

“Every time we allow a boy to take a podium from a girl, we are telling young women that their efforts, their sacrifices, and their God-given biology are meaningless,” Burt stated.

Public Opinion Sheds Light on Backlash

A recent poll conducted by the Associated Press and the NORC Center for Public Affairs Research in May 2025 revealed that these views resonate with many Americans. The poll found about 70% of adults oppose allowing trans-identified males to compete in girls’ or women’s athletics at any competitive level.

The CIF did not say whether the pilot policy will extend to all events or only those in which transgender athletes are active. As the 2025 state finals approach, questions remain about how the federation will enforce changes and handle future cases.

Meanwhile, legal interpretation of Trump’s February executive order remains contested, particularly in states with expansive protections for transgender students. California, which has been a consistent opponent of Trump administration positions on LGBTQ+ issues, has not enacted any statewide restrictions on transgender athletic participation.

Path Ahead Remains Uncertain for CIF

With the pilot rule set to take effect for the 2025 championships, the CIF has signaled it may continue to fine-tune its policies in response to public and political pressure. Officials have not indicated whether this pilot will lead to permanent changes.

As pressures mount from all sides, California’s CIF finds itself at the center of a growing national debate over inclusion and fairness in high school sports. The decisions made in the coming weeks could set precedents for other states and school systems nationwide.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Wesley Hunt drops satirical ad casting Cornyn as a Democrat ahead of Texas Senate primary

Rep. Wesley Hunt wants Texas Republicans to look at Sen. John Cornyn's record and draw the obvious conclusion. So he brought two donkeys to make…
4 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Democrats are silent on thousands in donations from an indicted Florida lawmaker accused of stealing FEMA funds

Democratic candidates and party organizations that received thousands of dollars from Rep. Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick have refused to say whether they will return the money, even…
4 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Previously deported illegal alien shot dead after firing on South Carolina deputies

A previously deported illegal immigrant from Mexico opened fire on Charleston County Sheriff's Office deputies during a pursuit on Feb. 11, striking one deputy in…
4 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Gwen Stefani promoted a prayer app for Lent, and fans lost their minds

Gwen Stefani posted a video on her Instagram on Wednesday promoting the Hallow prayer app and a Lent challenge leading up to Easter. The backlash…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Pawtucket ice rink shooter's son is serving federal time for burning a Black church

Robert Dorgan walked into the Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket on Monday, opened fire on his ex-wife and son as they sat in the…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

DON'T WAIT.

We publish the objective news, period. If you want the facts, then sign up below and join our movement for objective news:

    LATEST NEWS

    Newsletter

    Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

      By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
      Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
      © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
      magnifier