BY Benjamin ClarkJuly 31, 2025
7 months ago
BY 
 | July 31, 2025
7 months ago

Canadian priest sees charge dropped

website titleA misdemeanor battery charge filed against a Canadian priest last year was officially dismissed this week by Illinois authorities.

According to the Catholic Register, Fr. Carlos Martins of the Ottawa-based Companions of the Cross faced a single battery charge stemming from a November 2024 school visit but has now been cleared of any criminal wrongdoing by the court.

The incident in question occurred on Nov. 21, 2024, during a relic tour presentation held at a Catholic school in Joliet, Illinois. The tour involved the relic of St. Jude and was attended by roughly 200 students. During the event, a female student claimed that Fr. Martins used a lock of her hair to make a comedic remark involving flossing, which was part of his effort to build rapport with the audience.

The girl's father later filed a police complaint after hearing her version of the interaction. Officers investigated by interviewing other students at the scene, but no immediate legal action was taken. Despite this, the complaint ultimately led to a misdemeanor charge being filed against the priest.

Following the allegation, Fr. Martins chose to step away from public ministry. According to a letter written on Nov. 25, 2024, by Burke Law, who represented him, the incident was portrayed as a lighthearted moment where Martins joked about his own baldness and laughter was heard from students, including the girl involved.

Defense Describes Incident as Joke

In the same letter, his legal team described that Martins compared hairstyles with the student and jokingly remarked how her long hair could be used to floss teeth. They said he then lifted part of the girl’s hair to emphasize its length, during which the girl reportedly giggled along with the audience. The letter stated that the purpose of the comments was to connect with students during the talk.

His attorney explained that the student shared the story at home, leading to a strong reaction from her father. The situation escalated from that point, despite no apparent distress or objection from the student during the event itself, according to witnesses cited in the letter.

Authorities from the Will County State Attorney’s office reviewed the incident over the following months. On July 30, 2025, the office officially dropped the charge against Fr. Martins, bringing the legal matter to a close.

Court Finds No Misconduct History

As part of the dismissal, court documents emphasized that Fr. Martins had not faced any previous accusations of wrongdoing. The court order stated that he had never been criminally charged, nor had he been the subject of any allegations involving minors. Furthermore, it noted that he had not been the focus of canonical discipline during his time as a priest.

Fr. Martins responded publicly following the dismissal, expressing his appreciation for the support from the community. "I am deeply grateful to all who offered their prayers and support during this time," he said. He added that he looked forward to resuming his ministry work and continuing his role in spreading the Gospel.

His religious order, the Companions of the Cross, learned about the case’s resolution only after media inquiries were made. Fr. Roger Vandenakker of the order told Stella Maris Media that they had waited for the legal process to conclude and are currently evaluating how to proceed with Fr. Martins’ future ministerial activities.

Community Awaits Next Steps

Vandenakker called for understanding as the group considers what comes next. He stated that the order is still assessing how to proceed in light of the legal outcome and will determine Fr. Martin’s future role accordingly. No updated timeline has been shared for any decisions regarding his return to ministry.

This case adds to ongoing discussions around clergy conduct, public perception, and the responsibilities of institutions in responding to allegations. Though the charge was dropped, the initial filing sparked a pause in Martins' religious duties and led to public scrutiny surrounding the incident.

Martins and his legal team maintain that his intentions during the school visit were benign and part of a humor-based approach to engagement. They emphasized that his presentation relied on light-hearted gestures designed to put students at ease in a religious setting.

While the legal process has ended, the implications for Martins’ career and reputation remain ongoing. His order’s final decision regarding his active status has not yet been made public. Observers and supporters continue to monitor developments closely.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

CBS yanks Colbert interview with Texas Democrat, blames FCC equal-time rule

Stephen Colbert's "Late Show" was told by CBS lawyers it could not air an interview with Texas state representative James Talarico, a Democrat running for…
4 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Armed 18-year-old in tactical vest arrested after rushing US Capitol with loaded shotgun

An 18-year-old wearing a tactical vest and armed with a loaded shotgun ran toward the US Capitol on Tuesday before being intercepted by Capitol Police…
4 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Justice Alito's retirement rumors build on speculation, not substance

Washington's legal commentariat has a new parlor game: guessing whether Justice Samuel Alito plans to step down from the Supreme Court. The speculation has generated…
4 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Republican states fast-track felony penalties for church service disruptions after the Minnesota storming

Legislatures across the country are racing to upgrade penalties for disrupting worship services, with multiple Republican-led states introducing or signing bills that would make storming…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Ohio mother and volleyball coach was shot dead in a home invasion as police hunt for the suspect

Ashley Flynn, a 37-year-old mother of two, substitute teacher, and middle school volleyball coach, was found dead inside her Tipp City, Ohio, home early Monday…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier