BY Benjamin ClarkJune 11, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | June 11, 2025
8 months ago

Christian singer Michael Tait reveals years of substance abuse and misconduct

Michael Tait, the longtime voice behind Christian bands DC Talk and Newsboys, publicly confessed this week to decades of secretive behavior involving drug addiction and inappropriate sexual encounters with men.

According to Fox News, the 59-year-old artist posted an emotional statement on Instagram acknowledging the truth behind numerous allegations, admitting to substance abuse and what he described as a life of sin that led to his departure from the Newsboys earlier this year.

On Tuesday, Tait addressed the claims in response to a detailed investigation published by The Roys Report, an outlet known for its coverage of controversies in Christian communities. The report, which was released nearly a week earlier, was the result of a two-and-a-half-year investigation that included interviews with over 50 individuals.

The findings revealed a pattern of behavior stretching back two decades. Specifically, Tait admitted to excessive use of cocaine and alcohol, as well as inappropriate physical contact with other men. He acknowledged that many of the claims raised by the investigation were substantially accurate.

In his Instagram confession, Tait stated that for roughly 20 years, he struggled with substance addiction and engaged in unwanted and inappropriate behavior. Though he noted disagreement with some of the specific details in the allegations, he affirmed that their overall message was accurate and serious.

Longtime Struggles Hidden Behind Public Persona

Tait’s statement on social media offered a candid look into his struggles. He expressed deep regret over his lifestyle and took personal responsibility for the pain caused to others. “I am ashamed of my life choices and actions,” he wrote. “I will simply call it what God calls it — sin.”

Two men told The Roys Report they were each 22 when Tait allegedly assaulted them after drinking. These accounts are among the most serious of the claims detailed in the outlet’s investigative piece, and they helped prompt Tait's public acknowledgment.

While he gave up his role with the Newsboys in January 2025, Tait shared with his former bandmates and management at the time that he had been living a vastly different life offstage. His sudden decision to leave the group was originally attributed to personal reasons, but has now taken on new significance given his admission.

Newsboys Speak Out Following Confession

Following Tait’s admission, the Newsboys issued their statement addressing the fallout. The message clarified that they were unaware of the full extent of the situation until recent reports came to light. “When he left the band in January, Michael confessed to us and our management that he had been living a double life,” the band said. “But we never imagined that it could be this bad.”

The band expressed support for those who came forward, calling the situation heartbreaking and urging any additional victims to speak out. “First and foremost, our hearts are with the victims who have bravely shared their stories,” they added. “We do not condone any form of sexual assault.”

The Newsboys officially welcomed Tait into their ranks in 2009, after his successful run with DC Talk and a brief solo career. He became the group's lead vocalist and continued touring and recording with them until his abrupt departure earlier this year.

Public Appearances Before Departure Revealed No Signs

In March 2024, less than a year before his exit, Tait took the stage with the Newsboys at the Desert Diamond Arena in Glendale, Arizona. He was also present with the band in September 2024 for the premiere of “God’s Not Dead: In God We Trust,” a Christian film franchise in Southlake, Texas.

At both appearances, Tait gave no public indication of the internal struggle he now says shaped his life for decades. The contrast between his confident performances and the recent confession has shocked many longtime fans and followers of the Christian music scene.

Michael Tait, now 59, first gained prominence as a founding member of DC Talk, a group that helped popularize contemporary Christian music in the 1990s. After a pause in his solo career, he revitalized the Newsboys’ sound as lead singer for more than 15 years.

Christian Music Community Reacts to Shocking Disclosure

Tait’s confession has generated strong reactions across religious and music communities. Many have expressed sadness and disappointment, while others are emphasizing the importance of supporting victims and pursuing accountability in faith-based institutions.

Several Christian leaders have pointed to the incident as a call for greater transparency and healing within the profession. Meanwhile, others have emphasized the need for prayer, counseling, and spiritual restoration — both for the victims and for Tait.

As Tait continues what he described as a period of seeking help, the broader impacts of the revelations on the Newsboys’ legacy and the wider Christian music industry remain to be seen.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Maryland legislature votes to bar local police from cooperating with ICE

Maryland's General Assembly approved two emergency bills that would prohibit state and local agencies from entering into immigration enforcement agreements with federal authorities — and…
18 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Virginia Supreme Court upholds Marine's adoption of Afghan war orphan, overturning two lower courts

The Virginia Supreme Court ruled Thursday that U.S. Marine Joshua Mast and his wife Stephanie will keep an Afghan child they brought home years ago…
18 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump's negotiators warn Iran deal 'difficult to impossible' as second carrier strike group heads to the region

President Trump's chief negotiators on Iran have delivered a blunt assessment: history says a good deal with Tehran's rulers may be unachievable. Steve Witkoff, the…
18 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Puerto Rico signs law recognizing unborn children as human beings under the penal code

Puerto Rican Gov. Jenniffer González-Colón signed the Keishla Madlane Law on Thursday, amending the territory's penal code to include the killing of unborn babies within…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump Religious Liberty Commission removes Carrie Prejean Boller after she derailed an antisemitism hearing

Carrie Prejean Boller, the former Miss California turned Catholic activist, was removed from President Trump's White House Religious Liberty Commission on Wednesday after she hijacked…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

DON'T WAIT.

We publish the objective news, period. If you want the facts, then sign up below and join our movement for objective news:

    LATEST NEWS

    Newsletter

    Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

      By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
      Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
      © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
      magnifier