BY Benjamin ClarkJune 26, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | June 26, 2025
8 months ago

DHS lawsuit targets Maryland judges over immigration case pauses

The Trump administration has taken the rare step of suing an entire federal bench in Maryland over a controversial immigration case policy it argues undermines the rule of law.

According to Fox News, the Department of Homeland Security filed suit against all 15 federal judges in Maryland, challenging a standing order that temporarily halts deportations in certain immigration cases without individual judicial review.

At the heart of the legal spat is a standing order that mandates immediate administrative injunctions in habeas corpus cases brought by detained immigrants. The policy delays deportation or status changes for two business days upon filing, a move DHS argues short-circuits due process and exceeds judicial authority.

Trump Administration Blasts Judicial Overreach

Attorneys representing DHS didn't mince words, labeling the Maryland court's approach an “egregious example of judicial overreach.” They emphasized that even judges must adhere to statutory constraints, warning that “a desire for greater convenience” doesn’t justify ignoring the law.

The court claims the injunctions help preserve the status quo amid a spike in after-hours habeas filings. Judges said the flood of petitions, often dropped just before weekends or holidays, makes it hard to conduct meaningful hearings on short notice.

But Trump officials see the policy as a backdoor tactic that delays enforcement of immigration law, enabling removable individuals to buy time and potentially escape lawful deportation through procedural gamesmanship.

Habeas Petitions Used To Stall Deportations

The court justified its blanket injunction policy by pointing to logistical bottlenecks. Judges noted that rapidly gathering reliable details on a detainee’s status and location had become increasingly difficult, especially outside business hours.

Nonetheless, DHS contends the judiciary has gone rogue. They argue that issuing automatic relief without a judge evaluating the merits of each case first turns clerks into de facto immigration judges.

In a further twist, the Trump administration has moved to disqualify every Maryland judge named in the lawsuit, calling for an external judge to handle the matter or for the case to be transferred to another jurisdiction altogether.

Unusual Lawsuit Follows Prior Court Clashes

This isn’t the administration’s first tangle with Maryland judges. One of the defendants, Judge Paula Xinis, made headlines when she ordered DHS to return a deported Salvadoran national, Kilmar Abrego Garcia, after ruling he was denied his due process rights.

Garcia had been deported in error to a prison in El Salvador in March, despite having pending trafficking charges in the United States. He was later brought back following court intervention—a move that didn’t sit well with Trump’s immigration hawks.

The case was widely viewed as a black eye for federal immigration enforcement and provided legal ammunition for critics of DHS deportation practices.

Convenience Versus Constitutional Boundaries

The Maryland court has said its blanket injunctions are only temporary and meant to prevent irreversible harm while a case is prepared. But critics warn that even temporary pauses, if granted indiscriminately, can erode enforcement credibility.

Trump’s DHS maintains that immigration law must be applied consistently and fairly, and that this kind of sweeping judicial shortcut threatens the separation of powers. They say even overwhelmed judges cannot create their own rules.

The suit lays bare a growing power struggle between the executive branch’s enforcement prerogatives and a judiciary increasingly sympathetic to procedural defenses brought by noncitizens. What began as a scheduling workaround is now a constitutional showdown, with federal immigration policy caught in the crossfire.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier