BY Benjamin ClarkJuly 2, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | July 2, 2025
8 months ago

Fired Texas camp worker arrested after threat to stage Columbine-style attack

Authorities arrested a former Texas Christian camp counselor after he allegedly threatened to carry out a mass shooting similar to the 1999 Columbine High School attack.

Mario Bernal, 23, was taken into custody on June 22 after allegedly threatening violence against children and staff at Camp Cho-Yeh in Livingston, Texas, two days after he was terminated from his job, the Christian Post reported.

The incident began when Bernal, recently dismissed from Camp Cho-Yeh for breaking disciplinary rules, reportedly made alarming statements about harming himself and others at the camp. Camp administrators, learning of the threats early Sunday, notified law enforcement immediately. Officials acted quickly and apprehended him the same day outside the campgrounds.

Threats Made Days After Termination

Bernal had been working at Camp Cho-Yeh, a Christian summer camp established in 1947 and located among the tall pines of East Texas. He was fired on Friday night, June 20, for what officials described as a serious breach of disciplinary policies. According to court records, one of the incidents leading to his termination involved locking children in a hot room and refusing to let them leave.

Camp officials said the decision to cut ties with Bernal came immediately after the violation occurred. The camp later learned that Bernal had reacted to his termination with verbal threats, including a statement likening his firing to “clocking himself out” about the Columbine shooting. Witnesses later reported the comments to authorities, prompting an investigation.

According to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, Bernal threatened to carry out a shooting if any children “pissed him off.” Investigators revealed that he warned of consequences if the camp pursued any legal action, allegedly stating he would “not go down by himself.”

Swift Response by Local Officials and Police

On the morning of June 22, law enforcement was alerted to the threats. Polk County deputies collaborated with the Livingston Police Department to locate and detain Bernal. That same afternoon, officers spotted his car near the entrance of Camp Cho-Yeh and arrested him without incident.

Livingston Police Chief Matt Parrish commended the efficiency of the operation. “Threats to this community, especially involving our children, will always be taken seriously,” Parrish said. He applauded both the investigation conducted by the sheriff’s office and the rapid actions of responding officers on the scene.

No weapons were discovered on Bernal or in his vehicle during the arrest. He was booked into the Polk County Jail and is currently being held on a $50,000 bond. As of June 23, law enforcement continued their investigation into the extent of his intentions and potential legal consequences.

Camp Officials Assure Safety Protocols

In a public statement following the arrest, Camp Cho-Yeh emphasized its quick actions and commitment to safety. “We don’t take threats lightly, even if it is a joke,” the camp stated, reiterating that they reported the threats as soon as they became aware. They also confirmed no firearms were linked to Bernal’s arrest.

Camp Cho-Yeh, which has operated since the 1940s, described its staff hiring process as strict and comprehensive. Before employment, candidates are required to submit a detailed application, interview with full-time personnel, provide multiple references, and pass extensive background checks.

The camp clarified that Bernal passed these pre-employment screenings, which were conducted on May 2, 2025. The checks included federal, state, and county criminal records, along with sex offender database searches, all of which returned without any red flags.

Prior Allegations and Court Records Surface

However, additional legal issues have since been connected to Bernal. Court documents revealed that he had been previously charged with two counts of forcible sexual abuse related to an earlier incident on March 29. These charges did not show up in his initial employment screening.

In April, a Sexual Violence Protective Order was issued against Bernal. It remains unclear if Camp Cho-Yeh was aware of these charges before the recent incident. The camp maintains that no criminal records appeared in Bernal’s file at the time of his hiring.

These revelations have prompted questions about background check procedures and the challenges of ensuring staff safety at camps and youth programs. Despite the thorough vetting process claimed by Camp Cho-Yeh, Bernal’s history remained undetected during his employment application.

Community Reaction and Continued Investigation

As the investigation continues, the local community has expressed concern over safety at youth camps. Parents and staff praised the quick response by law enforcement, but some remain shaken by the nature of the threats. Officials have not reported any injuries or further safety incidents linked to the case.

The Polk County Sheriff’s Office has not announced whether additional charges will be filed. Legal proceedings are expected to determine whether Bernal will face further prosecution beyond the existing allegations.

Meanwhile, Camp Cho-Yeh has reaffirmed its commitment to camper safety and is reviewing internal protocols. The camp continues to operate its summer programs, providing updates as necessary and cooperating fully with authorities investigating the case.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
22 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
22 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
22 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier