BY Benjamin ClarkJune 30, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | June 30, 2025
8 months ago

Funeral home owner sentenced to 20 years for scheme involving fake cremations and misused funds

The co-owner of a Colorado funeral home has been sentenced to 20 years in federal prison after authorities uncovered a disturbing scheme involving nearly 200 decomposing bodies and fake cremated remains.

Jon Hallford, who operated the Return to Nature Funeral Home alongside his wife, was convicted of defrauding grieving families and federal aid programs, using the money for luxury purchases while bodies went unburied for years, Daily Mail reported.

From 2019 to 2023, Hallford and his wife, Carie Hallford, assured families that their deceased loved ones were being given “natural” burials—a process the couple promoted as environmentally friendly and chemical-free. Customers paid as much as $1,200 for these services, which included burial without embalming and tree planting in Colorado’s national forests.

Horrific Discovery Unveils Burial Fraud

In reality, authorities later found that nearly 200 bodies had been left to decompose in a building in Penrose, Colorado. Neighbors initially reported a foul odor resembling that of a dead animal, which triggered an investigation in 2023. Fremont County deputies discovered the stacked remains, many left at room temperature for years.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Tim Neff described the grim conditions, revealing that agents could not access some rooms due to the volume of decaying bodies. He said investigators had to lay down boards to walk above pools of bodily fluid, which later had to be pumped out by hazmat crews.

The FBI’s examination uncovered severe overcrowding and rooms filled wall to wall with decomposed bodies. Inside the facility, some bodies had been stored for as long as four years, dating back to 2019. In several instances, concrete powder was returned to families in place of actual cremated remains.

Families Left Traumatized by Deceit

Victims expressed deep emotional harm caused by the deception. Colton Sperry learned that the body of his grandmother, who died in 2019, had never been cremated. He testified that the revelation led him into a deep depression that required therapy and a service dog.

Derrick Johnson traveled from the East Coast to testify about his mother, whose body was also among those found. He described sleepless nights wondering whether she had been left unclothed or placed atop other bodies. He said he could not come to terms with the idea that the money meant for her funeral may have helped pay for luxury items or vacations.

Another relative of a deceased woman noted that a funeral director became suspicious after seeing the so-called ashes, which did not resemble cremated human remains. In at least one case, a family added water to the supposed ashes and watched as the mixture turned to solid concrete.

Federal Prosecutors Seek Justice

Jon Hallford pleaded guilty in 2024 to conspiracy to commit wire fraud after it came to light that he had knowingly accepted customers’ money for services never rendered. Although prosecutors recommended a 15-year sentence, U.S. District Judge Nina Wang issued a 20-year term, citing the emotional devastation inflicted on grieving families.

Judge Wang characterized the proceedings as unlike any standard financial crime case, pointing to the extent of human suffering involved. She said the scale of the scheme and its impact on victims warranted a more severe sentence.

In court, Hallford expressed regret over his actions. He claimed that he had initially opened the funeral home to help people, but lost control over time. “I am so deeply sorry for my actions,” he stated. “I still hate myself for what I’ve done.”

Luxury Spending Funded by Crime

Beyond the funeral-related fraud, Hallford and his wife were also found to have misused pandemic relief funds. The couple purchased vehicles, including an Infiniti and a GMC Yukon valued at over $120,000 combined, along with luxury goods from brands like Gucci and Tiffany & Co.

They also spent money on cryptocurrency and cosmetic body-sculpting treatments, according to court documents. These expenses stood in stark contrast to the conditions of the deceased individuals, whose services had never been performed as promised.

Hallford’s attorney admitted to the wrongdoing, stating that her client acknowledged his guilt and made no excuses for his behavior. “He knows he was wrong,” attorney Laura H. Suelau said. “He admitted he was wrong.”

More Legal Action Ahead

While Hallford’s sentencing closed one chapter of the disturbing case, additional legal proceedings are scheduled. He faces another sentencing in a related state case in August.

Carie Hallford, who co-owned the funeral home and is charged with 191 counts of abusing a corpse, is scheduled to stand trial in both federal and state court in September. Authorities have not yet stated whether additional charges may be brought based on the ongoing investigation.

As the community awaits further developments, many families remain haunted by the betrayal. They continue to grapple with the loss of closure that should have come with a respectful farewell for their loved ones.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
17 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
17 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
17 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier