BY Benjamin ClarkMay 26, 2025
9 months ago
BY 
 | May 26, 2025
9 months ago

MAGA win as Trump delays 50 percent EU tariffs after call with von der Leyen

A dramatic phone call between President Donald Trump and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen set off a chain reaction that could shape the global economy in the coming year.

According to Fox Business, Trump agreed to delay the implementation of a 50 percent tariff on EU imports until July 9, 2025, following von der Leyen’s direct request. The move came just days before the tariffs were originally set to take effect, giving both sides a brief but significant extension to hash out trade differences.

The high-stakes negotiation underscores the mounting tension between the world’s largest trading partners. Trump’s threats of massive tariffs have rattled markets and governments across Europe, while von der Leyen’s response suggests Europe is ready for serious talks. All eyes are now on what steps will be taken before the new July deadline.

Trump’s tariff threat shakes global markets

President Trump had been signaling for weeks that he was prepared to take dramatic action against what he describes as unfair European trade practices. On Friday, he announced he would impose a “straight 50% Tariff on the European Union, starting on June 1, 2025,” citing what he called “trade barriers, VAT taxes, ridiculous corporate penalties, non-monetary trade barriers, monetary manipulations, unfair and unjustified lawsuits against American companies, and more.”

This sudden escalation was not without warning. Trump has repeatedly pointed to a U.S. trade deficit with the EU of more than $250 billion a year, calling it “totally unacceptable.” His stance has been clear: Europe must come to the table prepared to make concessions or face harsh economic consequences.

Markets reacted swiftly. Business leaders worried about the ripple effects on global supply chains, and financial experts warned that a full-scale trade war could send shockwaves through the American and European economies. Some even cautioned that U.S. consumers might feel the pinch if tariffs led to higher prices on goods imported from Europe.

Von der Leyen pushes for negotiation

In a carefully orchestrated move, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen reached out directly to Trump, asking for more time to avoid the June 1 tariff deadline. During their conversation, von der Leyen reportedly told Trump she was ready for a “serious negotiation” and requested a new deadline of July 9, 2025.

Trump, speaking at Morristown Municipal Airport in New Jersey on Sunday, told reporters, “July 9th was the date she requested. … And I agreed to do that.” He added, “[von der Leyen] said we will rapidly get together and see if we can work something out.”

Von der Leyen later posted on X, formerly Twitter, that she had a “good call” with Trump and that Europe was “ready to advance talks swiftly and decisively.” Her public statements signaled to both European and American audiences that the EU takes the threat seriously and is preparing to come to the negotiating table.

Critics question motives and timing

Not everyone is convinced that the tariff delay is a victory for diplomacy. Some critics argue that Trump’s aggressive tactics are designed to pressure Europe into making concessions it might otherwise reject. Others say the deadline extension simply prolongs uncertainty for businesses trying to plan their operations.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent weighed in earlier this week, suggesting Trump’s real goal may be to “light a fire” under the EU. On “America’s Newsroom,” Bessent stated, “I would hope that this would light a fire under the EU, because... I’ve said before, [the] EU has a collective action problem here. It’s 27 countries, but they’re being represented by this one group in Brussels. So some of the feedback that I’ve been getting is that the underlying countries don’t even know what the EU is negotiating on their behalf.”

European businesses, meanwhile, are left in limbo. Many face potential disruption if tariffs are ultimately imposed, and some have called for greater transparency from EU leaders about what is at stake in the negotiations.

Momentum builds toward July showdown

With the new deadline set for July 9, both sides have just over a month to resolve their differences. Trump’s team has made it clear that the 50 percent tariff is not off the table—just delayed. For his supporters, this move is seen as a bold stand against what they consider unfair trade practices by Europe.

The EU, on the other hand, is under pressure from both its member states and major industries to defuse the crisis. Von der Leyen’s call to Trump suggests Brussels is ready to negotiate but not at any price. The next few weeks will test the resolve of both leaders and their willingness to compromise.

Industry experts expect a flurry of meetings and public statements as the July deadline approaches. The risk of renewed tensions remains high, but so does the potential for a breakthrough if both sides can find common ground.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Wesley Hunt drops satirical ad casting Cornyn as a Democrat ahead of Texas Senate primary

Rep. Wesley Hunt wants Texas Republicans to look at Sen. John Cornyn's record and draw the obvious conclusion. So he brought two donkeys to make…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Democrats are silent on thousands in donations from an indicted Florida lawmaker accused of stealing FEMA funds

Democratic candidates and party organizations that received thousands of dollars from Rep. Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick have refused to say whether they will return the money, even…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Previously deported illegal alien shot dead after firing on South Carolina deputies

A previously deported illegal immigrant from Mexico opened fire on Charleston County Sheriff's Office deputies during a pursuit on Feb. 11, striking one deputy in…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Gwen Stefani promoted a prayer app for Lent, and fans lost their minds

Gwen Stefani posted a video on her Instagram on Wednesday promoting the Hallow prayer app and a Lent challenge leading up to Easter. The backlash…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Pawtucket ice rink shooter's son is serving federal time for burning a Black church

Robert Dorgan walked into the Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket on Monday, opened fire on his ex-wife and son as they sat in the…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

DON'T WAIT.

We publish the objective news, period. If you want the facts, then sign up below and join our movement for objective news:

    LATEST NEWS

    Newsletter

    Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

      By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
      Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
      © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
      magnifier