BY Benjamin ClarkAugust 13, 2025
6 months ago
BY 
 | August 13, 2025
6 months ago

Michael Tait faces ongoing criminal complaints amid multiple assault claims

Christian music star Michael Tait is facing mounting accusations of sexual assault, as one alleged victim has begun pursuing criminal charges against him in Tennessee.
According to The Christian Post, Shawn Davis and five other men have come forward with accusations spanning over two decades, leading to a police investigation, public outcry, and significant fallout in the Christian music industry.
The Brentwood Police Department in Tennessee has confirmed a preliminary investigation is underway following a formal complaint made by Davis. He alleges that Tait raped him in 2003 after drugging him, marking one of the most serious accusations now under police review.

Allegations Span Two Decades And Multiple Individuals

Davis, who has publicly detailed his experience, said he is working to help build a full legal case and believes there are more victims. "Ultimately, in the end, the goal is to see him go to prison," Davis said, urging others to step forward with their stories.

Alongside Davis, Randall Crawford and Jason Jones have also come forward. Crawford alleges that in January 2000, Tait sexually assaulted him following an evening involving whiskey. He described blacking out and regaining consciousness during what he called a traumatic and violating incident.

Crawford, who says he first met Tait in 1989, believes the alleged assault had significant long-term effects on his emotional and spiritual well-being. "It did something to me spiritually, mentally, and physically," he said, expressing hope that more victims feel empowered to speak out.

Former Evanescence Manager Cites Similar Experience

Jason Jones, who managed the band Evanescence at the time, said he was encouraged by Tait to share a bed one night after drinking in 1999. He claims to have awakened multiple times to find Tait on top of him.

Jones brought the incident to the attention of bandmate Ben Moody and was later fired, though Moody has denied that the dismissal was related to the allegations. Jones has sharply criticized Tait’s subsequent public statement as lacking sincerity and accountability.

"Hogwash," Jones said of the confession that was released by Tait in June 2025. In the statement, Tait admitted to "unwanted sensual" contact with men, but pushed back on some specific accusations. He also admitted to years of alcohol and drug abuse and said he'd spent time in a Utah treatment center.

Confession Reignites Outrage And Response

Crawford also criticized the singer’s remarks, calling the confession weak and disingenuous. "'I did do some unwanted touching.' No, you raped people,” Crawford said. He and his wife have since recorded a song titled “Rebuild,” which he says was a way to process and express his trauma.

Last month, a teaser trailer for a potential documentary featuring Davis’s account of events surfaced on YouTube, aiming to shed light on the full scope of allegations. The video hints at further testimonies that may still be made public.

Tait’s troubles have affected not only him personally but his former band as well. He left Newsboys abruptly in January 2025, months before the release of his confession. Since then, the backlash has widened.

Newsboys And Christian Media React Strongly

Following the surfacing of abuse claims, Newsboys' current members issued a statement expressing outrage and betrayal. “In many ways, we feel as if we and our families have been deceived for the last fifteen years,” the band said on social media.

Christian radio stations have also responded. K-LOVE, one of the most influential Christian music broadcasters, confirmed that it removed both Newsboys and DC Talk songs from its playlists and its “Decades” streams while it continues to assess the situation.

A spokesperson for the station said they are watching, praying, and trying to understand what has unfolded. Capitol Christian Music Group, the record label representing the Newsboys, has dropped the band entirely in the wake of the scandal.

Additional Claims Emerge In Expanding Investigation

Beyond the accusations brought by Davis, Crawford, and Jones, more claims have emerged. A female accuser has charged that Tait stood by as a lighting technician associated with Newsboys allegedly raped her during the group’s 2014 tour.

She claims she had been drugged, but the technician involved has denied the allegation. In addition to that, two other men allege that Tait fondled them, and another described a separate incident involving non-consensual physical contact during an anal massage.

The Guardian has reported that at least six men now accuse the singer of sexual assault. Davis, who continues to advocate publicly, said, “We need every single victim possible to come forward. They deserve to know that they're not the only ones.”

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
22 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
22 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
22 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier