BY Benjamin ClarkJune 29, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | June 29, 2025
8 months ago

Millions feared in danger as hurricane forecasting system slashed

Washington’s latest blunder could cost lives. The Pentagon, in a move that reeks of bureaucratic shortsightedness, has pulled the plug on a vital weather satellite program just as hurricane season kicks into high gear, as the Daily Mail reports. This isn’t just red tape -- it’s a gamble with millions of American lives.

Last week, the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) was abruptly terminated, cutting off critical hurricane prediction data. Three satellites that tracked storms 10 to 12 hours before formation went dark, leaving forecasters scrambling. The shutdown, effective June 30, 2025, slashes microwave data by half, crippling the ability to monitor wind and rain patterns.

Over 60 million Americans along the East and Gulf Coasts depend on timely hurricane warnings. The DMSP satellites, unlike others, could peer through clouds and darkness, providing unmatched clarity on storm behavior. Now, with an above-normal Atlantic hurricane season underway, the loss of this data could delay warnings and shrink evacuation windows.

Satellite shutdown sparks outrage

Forecasters are sounding alarms, and for good reason. “There are going to be cases this year when certain warnings are delayed because of this,” warned James Franklin, a retired National Hurricane Center branch chief. His grim prediction is undercut by Washington’s apparent indifference to the stakes.

Franklin’s concern isn’t theoretical -- delayed warnings could mean delayed evacuations, costing lives. The 2024 hurricane season, which killed 400 people, showed what’s at risk when storms like Helene and Milton hit. Those storms were tracked with precision, thanks to fully funded satellites now left to rot.

In May 2025, experts predicted a brutal hurricane season, with 13 to 19 named storms, including up to 10 hurricanes and five major ones.

AccuWeather forecasts up to six major storms could slam the U.S. in 2025, matching 2024’s devastating toll. Without satellite data, forecasters may miss rapid storm intensification, risking deadly “sunrise surprises.”

NOAA’s response falls flat

NOAA, tasked with picking up the slack, claims it’s business as usual. A spokesperson called the shutdown a “routine process of data rotation and replacement,” touting other satellites and tools. This sunny optimism feels like a dodge when lives are on the line.

Marc Alessi, a hurricane expert with the Union of Concerned Scientists, isn’t buying it. “This is a major setback,” he said, noting forecasters can’t reliably detect rapid storm intensification without the lost data. His warning exposes NOAA’s spin as dangerously inadequate.

The White House’s proposed 40% cut to NOAA’s 2026 budget -- slashing over $2 million -- only deepens the crisis.

Add to that the Trump administration’s push to gut disaster preparedness staff and contracts, and it’s clear where priorities lie. Climate research, once a darling of progressive agendas, is now collateral damage in a broader cost-cutting spree.

Hurricane season looms large

The timing couldn’t be worse. An above-normal hurricane season demands robust forecasting, not slashed budgets and shuttered satellites.

The Pentagon’s abrupt move, described by former officials as poorly communicated, raises questions about its commitment to public safety.

Brian McNoldy, a University of Miami hurricane expert, called the shutdown “alarmingly bad news.” He noted that data was already scarce, making the loss of three satellites “insane.”

His blunt assessment cuts through the bureaucratic fog, demanding accountability.

Rick Spinrad, former NOAA administrator, was equally stunned. “I’ve never seen anything like this. It’s shocking,” he said, capturing the disbelief of those who understand the stakes.

Public safety at risk?

Spinrad’s shock is justified -- 2024’s accurate forecasts for Hurricanes Milton and Helene saved countless lives. Those successes relied on the very satellite systems now dismantled. The contrast between then and now is a stark warning of what’s to come.

Without the DMSP data, forecasters could lose six to 10 hours of early warning. That’s the time communities need to evacuate, board up homes, or brace for impact. The risk of missing a storm’s rapid growth could turn manageable threats into catastrophes.

Washington’s priorities are baffling. While coastal communities face a barrage of storms, the government is dismantling tools that protect them. This isn’t just a policy misstep -- it’s a betrayal of the millions who deserve better.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
13 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
13 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
13 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier