BY Benjamin ClarkSeptember 18, 2025
5 months ago
BY 
 | September 18, 2025
5 months ago

Over 100 killed in Christian villages by Congo militants

More than 100 lives were violently taken in a series of coordinated overnight raids by Islamist extremists in the North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo earlier this week.

Christian Today reported that on the night of September 15, 2025, Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) militants attacked the villages of Ntoyo and Potodu, killing over 100 Christians and reigniting fear in a region already haunted by repeated massacres targeting civilians.

The first assault took place in Ntoyo, where most victims were attending a Catholic wake. Eyewitness accounts and survivors described horrifying scenes, as armed assailants stormed through homes, firing weapons and hacking people with machetes. According to Abbé Paluku Nzalamingi, at least 70 victims lost their lives in this single village.

Brutal Nighttime Raid Leaves Dozens Dead

"They killed nearly everyone present at the wake," Nzalamingi said, describing bodies of women lying beside mattresses, in corridors, and even scattered outdoors. Some residents died trying to flee the chaos. Homes, vehicles, and motorbikes were set ablaze by the attackers, who also abducted several villagers before retreating into the night.

Rev. Mbula Samaki recalled, “They arrived and started killing. They murdered—coldly murdered—26 Christians.” He narrowly avoided the massacre, having passed through Ntoyo shortly before the assault began. Rev. Samaki emphasized that while he survived, the trauma of what unfolded in his community remains deeply disturbing.

Only hours after the carnage in Ntoyo, militants continued their rampage on the morning of September 16 in nearby Potodu. This time, their victims were Christian farmers who had stayed overnight in their fields to tend crops. The attacks left multiple families shattered yet again.

Continued Pattern of Regional Violence

This week's carnage marks the third major episode of mass killings in eastern Congo in as many months. Last month, more than 50 civilians, including women and children, were slaughtered in similar rural attacks over a single weekend. In July, at least 49 churchgoers were killed in Ituri province during an overnight prayer gathering.

According to human rights organizations, these atrocities are part of a concerning trend. Groups worry that many other incidents have gone undocumented due to the remoteness of certain villages and the lack of access for media and observers. The security situation has driven thousands of people from rural communities into urban areas such as Oicha, where displaced citizens now seek shelter.

Churches have begun offering refuge to survivors, though many evacuees remain too afraid to stay even in sacred spaces. Rev. Alili, a local religious leader, expressed sorrow and growing despair, noting that after the violent wake attack, people are afraid to gather in churches for fear of facing similar tragedies.

Community Struggles With Shock and Fear

“It is a night of sadness and desolation for Christians,” said Pastor Paluku. “May God come to our rescue because we are fed up with these killings in the Beni territory.” Mental and emotional trauma continues to weigh heavily on those who remain, as survivors strive to process the extent of the destruction and loss.

The Allied Democratic Forces, the group believed to be behind the attacks, is a well-known Islamist militant faction operating primarily in eastern Congo. The ADF has long been associated with ISIS and is thought to be retaliating against the Congolese government over military operations conducted earlier this year.

Regional and international condemnation followed the attacks. Jo Newhouse, a spokesperson for Open Doors' sub-Saharan Africa division, declared the situation unacceptable. She emphasized that civilian deaths continue with “impunity” and called on governments, NGOs, and civil society groups to focus on ensuring protection in this volatile region.

Call to Action From Global Human Rights Groups

"Open Doors strongly condemns these ongoing acts of violence against civilians," Newhouse said. “We urge international actors to prioritize protection in eastern DRC, where armed groups, such as the ADF, are operating.” Despite this plea, real solutions to the violence remain elusive.

Local security forces, already stretched thin, have struggled to repel insurgent movements in North Kivu and surrounding areas. The terrain is difficult to control, and rebel groups often blend into the dense forest after carrying out raids, delaying pursuit and response efforts.

As community members mourn their loved ones, the growing question is how long such terror will continue without decisive intervention. For many living in affected towns and villages, peace still appears agonizingly out of reach, even as funerals continue and the specter of further attacks looms.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
6 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier