BY Benjamin ClarkSeptember 10, 2025
5 months ago
BY 
 | September 10, 2025
5 months ago

Priest removed over critique of Vatican reforms

An Italian priest has been suspended from ministry following his public criticism of the Second Vatican Council during a livestream broadcast.

The Catholic Herald reported that Don Leonardo Maria Pompei, a parish priest in the province of Rome, was suspended by his bishop on Sept. 4 after he defied church orders and hosted an online discussion rejecting Vatican II and modern liturgical practices.

Don Pompei had served as the pastor of Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo, located in the town of Sermoneta. His suspension came after he violated a diocesan precept that barred him from hosting parish gatherings or using social media platforms to share his views.

The order was issued by Bishop Mariano Crociata, head of the Diocese of Latina, Terracina, Sezze, and Priverno. The bishop imposed immediate restrictions on Pompei, forbidding him from celebrating Mass, wearing clerical clothing, or presenting himself in public as a priest.

Despite these instructions, Don Pompei proceeded to organize a livestream on YouTube, during which he claimed that the reforms of the Second Vatican Council were incompatible with Catholic tradition and pushed for a return to the pre-conciliar Roman Rite.

Cleric’s Livestream Sparks Disciplinary Action

In that online session, Don Pompei cited his theological studies as shaping his convictions, referring to classic Catholic writers such as St. Alphonsus de’ Liguori and the Venerable María de Ágreda. He said their works helped form his view of how Catholic doctrine should be interpreted and lived.

Pompei emphasized he was not attempting to start a movement or align himself with any group known for dissent. He explained his goal was to uphold what he believes is the authentic Catholic faith, not to challenge papal authority or incite division.

He also invoked the example of Don Enzo Boninsegna, a priest who resigned from his post in 1989 over liturgical disagreements, including opposition to receiving Holy Communion in the hand. Pompei said this case illustrated the lengths to which conscientious clergy might go in protest.

Local Reaction and Appointment of New Pastor

The livestream incident heightened tensions within Don Pompei’s parish community. Parishioners in Sermoneta were left unsettled by his abrupt removal, and the story quickly became a subject of widespread local discussion.

To stabilize the situation, the diocese appointed Don Giovanni Castagnoli as the new pastor of Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo. The diocesan office stated the move was made to restore “calm” and continuity in the spiritual life of the parish.

Don Pompei’s case has now been referred to the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome. That Vatican body will examine the matter for possible further action or clarification regarding his canonical status.

Historical Context and Comparable Cases

This is not the first case in Italy involving traditionalist clergy publicly opposing modern ecclesiastical teachings. Don Francesco D’Erasmo of the Diocese of Civitavecchia–Tarquinia publicly challenged papal doctrine but avoided censure after reconciling with his bishop.

Earlier this year, the Catholic Herald reported on the excommunication of a different priest, Fr. Natale Santonocito, who was removed for declaring Pope Francis’s election invalid—an accusation that Don Pompei notably has not made.

While Pompei has espoused traditionalist ideas, he has refrained from challenging the legitimacy of Pope Francis or the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI. This distinguishes him from more extreme factions within the Catholic traditionalist landscape.

Priest’s Social Media Presence Raised Concerns

Don Pompei has fostered a strong presence on social media in recent years, creating hundreds of videos promoting his interpretations of the Catholic faith and criticizing modern Church practices. This online activity was one of the primary concerns cited by diocesan authorities.

The penal precept he received explicitly instructed him to suspend all internet-based pastoral outreach and refrain from hosting gatherings with parish faithful. His decision to ignore that directive formed the basis for his suspension.

Church officials have not specified a timeline for when the Dicastery in Rome might conclude its review. Until then, Pompei remains barred from performing priestly duties or holding himself out as a clergyman.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
8 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
8 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
8 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
1 day ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier