Priest wounded before Mass as Downpatrick death sparks murder probe
Canon Murray suffered injuries to both his head and hands, including broken fingers, while attempting to defend himself. He was taken to the hospital, where he remains in serious but stable condition, officials confirmed.
Father Eddie McGee, speaking on behalf of the diocese, revealed that the attacker had asked Canon Murray to perform the sacrament of reconciliation shortly before the assault. “The parish priest of Downpatrick, Canon John Murray, was approached earlier this morning by a gentleman asking him to celebrate the sacrament of reconciliation… at which stage Canon John was attacked,” McGee said.
Investigation Expands After Second Incident Emerges
The situation escalated further when, about two hours later on the same day, police received a report of a body discovered in a house within Downpatrick. Authorities identified the deceased as Stephen Brannigan, whose death is now the focus of a murder investigation.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) confirmed that a 30-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in custody as of Tuesday evening. Investigators are working to determine the connection between the church attack and the homicide.
“At this time, we suspect this may be connected to a serious assault in the St. Patrick’s Avenue area of Downpatrick on Sunday,” according to a police spokesperson. That area, where the church is located, remains central to the ongoing investigation.
Community In Shock Over Linked Crimes
Superintendent Norman Haslett, the district commander, stated that detectives from the Major Investigation Team are pursuing all leads in light of this unusual series of events. Authorities continue to gather evidence from both crime scenes as they try to establish a full timeline.
Detective Chief Inspector David McBurney called the assault on Canon Murray “a completely shocking and brutal attack,” emphasizing the seriousness of the situation. Police have not yet disclosed possible motives, but believe the deaths are more than coincidentally timed.
Father McGee described the priest as both well-respected and deeply connected to his community. He noted that Canon Murray had intended to retire within the coming weeks but was planning to remain active in ministry until then.
Support Grows for Injured Priest and Victim’s Family
“Canon Murray sustained a serious head injury and is currently in hospital receiving treatment,” Father McGee said. “His situation remains serious but stable. Our thoughts and prayers are with Canon John Murray.”
McGee also added, “It’s very concerning and disturbing that this attack occurred towards a priest who was vulnerable in the course of his ministry and service to the local community.” He noted that parishioners and members of the wider community had been reaching out with messages of compassion.
Addressing the second incident, McGee said the diocese was “devastated” by the loss of life. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife and family and, indeed, all affected by this attack resulting in the loss of life,” he said.
Officials Appeal for Information as Investigation Continues
Police continue to appeal to anyone who may have been in the area near St. Patrick’s Avenue on the morning of August 10 to come forward. Investigators stress that public cooperation could be crucial in resolving what appears to be a deeply troubling set of events.
The 30-year-old suspect remains in police custody and is assisting the PSNI with their inquiries. No charges have yet been filed as detectives work to piece together a motive and confirm whether the two events are criminally tied.
St. Patrick’s Church has resumed operations under heightened security measures, while parishioners remain shaken by the events. Community members have been gathering in prayer for both Canon Murray’s recovery and the Brannigan family’s loss.




