Suicide blast kills 22 in Damascus church during prayers
In a devastating attack on Sunday in Damascus, a suicide bomber stormed a packed Christian church, opening fire on worshippers before setting off an explosive vest that left dozens dead or injured.
According to the Daily Mail, the blast at Mar Elias Church in the Dweila neighborhood killed at least 22 individuals and wounded 63 more, marking Syria's deadliest attack on a religious site in years.
The attack took place during a prayer service at approximately midday, when around 350 people had gathered inside the historic church. Among the injured were children, according to Syrian state media, and witnesses described scenes of chaos and destruction.
Attacker Opens Fire Then Detonates Explosives
Witnesses reported that the assailant, alleged to be affiliated with the Islamic State group, entered the church and began shooting at worshippers. The attacker then detonated an explosive belt, causing widespread devastation throughout the interior of the building.
Government officials said the attacker was linked to the extremist group known as Daesh, another name for the Islamic State. “A suicide attacker affiliated with the Daesh (IS) terrorist group entered the Saint Elias church... opened fire, then blew himself up with an explosive belt,” the Syrian Interior Ministry said.
Eyewitness Rawad recalled watching the man fire on the church from outside before entering and triggering the explosion. “He was shooting at the church – he then went inside the church and blew himself up,” Rawad said.
Claim Of Group Responsibility Yet To Be Confirmed
At the time of reporting, no group had officially claimed responsibility for the attack. If confirmed as an Islamic State operation, it would mark a resurgence of violence from the group, which has seen diminished activity in recent years across Syria.
One priest, Meletius Shahati, claimed that a second armed man fired on the church doors seconds before the blast. Rawad said the attacker had two companions who fled the scene immediately after the explosion, raising concerns of further coordinated threats.
Footage circulated online by state media and civil defense teams showed extensive interior damage, blood-stained pews, broken masonry, and shattered religious icons. The White Helmets, a civil response team, provided live footage from inside the damaged church shortly after the incident.
Emergency Response And Government Reaction
Security forces and first responders arrived within minutes of the blast and began treating the injured and securing the site. Interior Minister Anas Khattab confirmed an investigation into the bombing and condemned the attack as a brutal act of terror.
“These terrorist acts will not stop the efforts of the Syrian state in achieving civil peace,” Khattab said, adding that intelligence officers were working to investigate any links with recent ISIS-related arrests made in the Damascus area.
Last month, Syrian authorities detained suspected ISIS cell members near Damascus, accusing them of plotting attacks. In a separate operation in Aleppo, one security officer and three ISIS members were reportedly killed in a raid targeting the group.
Religious Leaders And Survivors Speak
Father Fadi Ghattas, who was present during the attack, said there were 350 people in the church when the bomber entered. “People were praying safely under the eyes of God,” he said. Shocked survivors shared emotional responses, with one man, Issam Nasr, stating, “We have never held a knife in our lives. All we ever carried were our prayers.”
Government officials, including Social Affairs and Labor Minister Hind Kabawa, visited the church to express condolences and met with clergy members at the scene. The blast came as the new transitional government led by President Ahmed al-Sharaa attempted to build trust with Syria’s religious minorities.
President al-Sharaa, who took office in January following the departure of former leader Bashar al-Assad, has publicly committed to protecting all segments of Syrian society, including Christian and other minority populations, during the country's political transition.
International Condemnation And Calls For Accountability
The international community responded with unified condemnation. United Nations Special Envoy Geir Pedersen issued a statement describing the bombing as a “heinous crime” and calling for justice for the victims and safety for religious worshippers.
The French Foreign Ministry labeled the event an “abject” terrorist act. Greek officials also condemned the bombing as “abhorrent” and called on Syria’s transitional authorities to both hold perpetrators accountable and protect religious minorities across the country.
French Foreign Ministry spokesperson Christophe Lemoine added that Syria should move toward a future where people of all faiths can live safely in “a free, united, pluralistic, prosperous, stable and sovereign Syria.”




