Supreme Court clears path for Trump education cuts
The Supreme Court's decision restores momentum to a plan the Trump administration has pushed for months. It stems from an executive order issued four months earlier by President Trump directing the Education Department to begin its dissolution. The order also called for transferring responsibility for K-12, vocational, and higher education programs to individual states and local districts.
Trump Administration Calls Ruling A Victory
President Trump hailed the court’s decision as a major win, saying it restored education decision-making powers to American families. He criticized the federal government’s approach to education, arguing that centralized oversight had failed students. He pledged a dramatic transformation in educational outcomes by giving communities more control.
“The Federal Government has been running our Education System into the ground,” Trump said, adding that the ruling marked a turning point for American schools. He emphasized returning authority to “the PEOPLE” as key to improving learning outcomes nationwide.
Secretary of Education Linda McMahon echoed the president’s stance, applauding the Supreme Court and calling the decision a constitutional affirmation of executive authority. She emphasized that federal agency structure and leadership decisions fall under the president’s powers.
McMahon Defends Constitutional Authority
McMahon stated that the court recognized the administration’s right to carry out its education restructuring plan. “Today, the Supreme Court again confirmed the obvious,” she said, referring to the president’s authority over the Executive Branch. She emphasized that the administration would use this authority to reduce bureaucratic oversight in education.
She described the court ruling as an endorsement of the administration’s educational reform agenda, noting that Americans had voted for these changes. “It is a shame that the highest court in the land had to step in,” McMahon noted, emphasizing that the administration had acted within its constitutional rights all along.
McMahon also promised that, although the federal Department would be dismantled, legal and statutory responsibilities would continue to be fulfilled. She said the Education Department would now focus on delivering "excellence in American education" as authority was moved to the state and local level.
Opposition From Nation's Largest Teachers' Union
While the Trump administration celebrated the decision, opponents warned of far-reaching repercussions. The National Education Association, the country's largest union for educators, forcefully criticized both the ruling and the administration’s plan to eliminate the federal Education Department.
NEA President Becky Pringle issued several statements denouncing the court’s ruling, warning that eliminating the department would endanger essential services and protections for students. Among the concerns raised were cuts to job training programs, limits on college access, and reduced enforcement of civil rights in schools.
Pringle said the decision “will hurt all students,” adding that class sizes would rise and education for students with disabilities would be undermined. She accused the Trump administration and what she referred to as the “MAGA Supreme Court” of stripping students and communities of vital resources.
Concerns Over Funding And Civil Rights
According to Pringle, the dissolution of the department could weaken enforcement of federally mandated funding and protections enacted by Congress. She said programs supporting student diversity, access, and fairness in education would be left vulnerable under a state-led system.
“Nothing is more important than the success of students,” Pringle said, warning that the loss of central coordination would particularly affect underserved communities. The NEA had previously challenged the administration in the courts and helped bring the case that was overturned Monday.
Education advocates aligned with the NEA argue that centralized oversight remains necessary to ensure consistent standards and equal opportunity across the U.S. They fear the shift to localized control could lead to wide disparities in education quality and student outcomes.
Next Steps Remain Unclear As Transition Begins
Though the Supreme Court ruling gives the Trump administration legal clearance to dismantle the Education Department, the timeline to fully execute the plan remains open. Administrative actions to wind down federal operations will now pick up under McMahon’s leadership.
The ruling does not stop states from opposing potential mandates or resisting implementation changes, which could introduce delays. As education jurisdiction is transferred, states will face the challenge of replacing federal programs and funding streams.
The decision adds another chapter to the long-running debate over the federal role in public education. While Trump and supporters see the ruling as a win for state sovereignty, critics warn of looming consequences for student equity and protection under the proposed decentralized model.




