BY Benjamin ClarkJune 29, 2025
8 months ago
BY 
 | June 29, 2025
8 months ago

Trump administration's end to Haitian protections alarms Christian leaders

Hundreds of thousands of Haitian migrants in the United States are at risk of deportation following a new decision by the Trump administration to end a long-standing immigration protection program.

The Department of Homeland Security announced that Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Haitian nationals will be terminated by Sept. 2, 2025, drawing strong opposition from Christian organizations and community leaders who say returning migrants to Haiti now would be dangerous and inhumane, The Christian Post reported.

TPS has allowed Haitian nationals to live and work legally in the U.S. since it was first granted following the devastating 2010 earthquake. Many current recipients also fled Haiti in more recent years due to worsening violence and political instability, particularly after the 2021 assassination of President Jovenel Moïse.

Christians criticize safety claims in Haiti

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem confirmed the decision after her department conducted a review of conditions in Haiti and consulted with other federal agencies. She said Haiti no longer qualifies for TPS because environmental and safety conditions have improved.

“The environmental situation in Haiti has improved enough that it is safe for Haitian citizens to return home,” Noem said in a statement. However, faith-based advocates quickly challenged her reading of the crisis still unfolding in the Caribbean nation.

Pascal Bimenyimana, World Relief’s director in Haiti, cited the U.S. State Department’s advisory against travel to Haiti due to extreme levels of crime, kidnappings, government dysfunction, and limited health infrastructure. He argued the conditions are unfit for safe return.

Faith leaders speak out on deportation risks

World Relief, a prominent Christian humanitarian agency with U.S. State Department authorization to help resettle refugees, has sharply criticized the administration’s decision. CEO Myal Greene described the move as another blow to families who have followed the law while building lives in America.

“Another week, another mass illegalization of families and individuals who have been lawfully and peacefully residing in our country,” Greene said. He added that many TPS holders are stable, employed, and actively support relatives in both the U.S. and Haiti.

Rev. Patrick Mahoney, director of the Christian Defense Coalition, bluntly questioned the administration’s conclusions. In a recent post online, he called the portrayal of Haiti as improved “absolutely NOT” accurate, adding that many parts of the country remain under threat of gang violence and disorder.

Ohio’s Haitian population faces an uncertain future

In Springfield, Ohio, where the Haitian community has grown in recent years, the reaction to the announcement has been one of anxiety and concern. Vilès Dorsainvil, a local minister and leader at the Haitian Community Help & Support Center, spoke about how he and others fled Haiti for safety, not opportunity.

“Many of us are coming — it’s not because we were looking for jobs. We were being pushed away by the situations,” Dorsainvil said. “You had to choose between your life and the job you had.”

Dorsainvil, who arrived in 2020 and was later granted TPS, said he may consider relocating to Canada if the U.S. proceeds with plans to deport Haitian nationals after the 2025 deadline.

Pushback spans parties and faith traditions

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, a Republican, has previously praised the vital role that Haitian immigrants have played in the state’s economy. He noted that local businesses commend Haitian employees as reliable and valuable contributors.

“The companies tell us that they are very good workers. They're very happy to have them there, and frankly, that's helped the economy,” DeWine said.

Other Christian voices, such as Alexei Laushkin, founder of the Kingdom Mission Society, echoed worries about the outcome for Haitian families. Laushkin commended the vibrant Haitian presence in U.S. communities and warned of the perils migrants face if returned to their homeland.

Similar policies affect other vulnerable groups

The decision regarding Haiti follows recent U.S. Supreme Court rulings that cleared the path for the Trump administration to phase out TPS for additional countries. These include Venezuela, Nicaragua, and Cuba—nations with significant instability.

TPS protections for Afghan nationals are also set to expire on July 14, 2025. In North Carolina, a church is working to advocate on behalf of about two dozen Afghan Christian refugees who risk deportation once that policy ends.

Julie Tisdale, a seminary student at the Church of the Apostles in Raleigh, shared that her congregation is trying to engage lawmakers to prevent the deportations. “We have lots of people who have told us that they understand, they’re sympathetic, but we have yet to find anybody willing to be the champion for this,” she said.

Written by: Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark delivers clear, concise reporting on today’s biggest political stories.

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Trump orders federal intervention as 243 million gallons of raw sewage flood the Potomac River

President Trump directed federal authorities to take immediate action over the ongoing sewage crisis in the Potomac River, declaring that local Democrat leadership had proven…
13 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Trump calls Newsom's UK energy deal 'inappropriate,' warns British leaders against partnering with California governor

President Trump fired back at California Gov. Gavin Newsom's European diplomacy tour on Monday, calling British leaders foolish for entertaining the governor's overtures and dismissing…
13 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

AOC's Munich Security Conference performance draws fire from her own side

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traveled to the Munich Security Conference last Friday and delivered what even her allies are struggling to defend. The New York congresswoman…
13 hours ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Tim Allen finishes 13-month cover-to-cover Bible reading, says he'll start over

Tim Allen has read the entire Bible — word by word, page by page, no skimming — and the 71-year-old says he's going back to…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Holy See clears Fulton Sheen's path to beatification after years of delays

The Vatican has given the green light for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's cause for beatification to move forward, ending years of stalled progress for one…
2 days ago
 • By Benjamin Clark

Newsletter

Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

    By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
    Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
    © 2026 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    magnifier