BY Jack Davis, The Western JournalMay 8, 2023
1 year ago
BY 
 | May 8, 2023
1 year ago

USMC Gives Up Marine at Center of NYC Subway Death: Report

The Marine Corps has confirmed the identity of the former Marine from Queens who put a man into a fatal chokehold in a high-profile incident last week on a New York City subway.

The 24-year-old who responded to an outburst from a homeless man was identified by the Marine Corps as Daniel J. Penny, according to the U.K. Daily Mail. The death of the man, identified as Jordan Neely, 30, has been ruled a homicide by the medical examiner's office.

There have been no charges brought yet in the case.

According to the Daily Mail, Penny left the Marine Corps in June 2021 after four years, ending his service at Camp LeJeune as a sergeant in the 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines, 2nd Marine Division.

Penny, who was awarded seven medals, was deployed from December 2018 to July 2019 in the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit in the Mediterranean Sea region.

A statement from Penny’s law firm, Raiser and Keniff in New York City, said Penny sought to protect the passengers in the subway car and called Neely’s death on Monday “a tragic incident,” according to the New York Daily News.

[firefly_poll]

“When Mr. Neely began aggressively threatening Daniel Penny and the other passengers, Daniel, with the help of others, acted to protect themselves, until help arrived,” the statement said.

“Daniel never intended to harm Mr. Neely and could not have foreseen his untimely death,” the statement said.


Neely had 42 arrests in the past 10 years.

“For too long, those suffering from mental illness have been treated with indifference,” the statement from Penny’s lawyers said. “We hope that out of this awful tragedy will come a new commitment by our elected officials to address the mental health crisis on our streets and subways.”

A report in the New York Post said Penny was taken into custody but released without being. The report stated that a grand jury could consider the case in the coming week.

Neely’s death has galvanized protests.

Lennon Edwards, a lawyer for Neely’s family, said Neely was “robbed of his life in a brutal way by someone who decided that they were judge, jury and executioner on the spot. We can’t have vigilantes, and we can’t have people taking the law into their own hands,” according to The New York Times.

Other New Yorkers interviewed have said Neely provoked the incident.

“I feel sorry for the man, but he was acting threatening,” Maria Castaño of Brooklyn told the Times.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Written by: Jack Davis, The Western Journal

NATIONAL NEWS

SEE ALL

Everyone Except Melania Wishes Trump Happy Birthday

According to a Daily Beast report, numerous public figures expressed their well-wishes for former President Donald Trump on his 78th birthday, while Melania Trump remained…
19 hours ago
 • By Staff Writers

Bill Maher Clashes With Charlamagne Tha God Over Racial Commentary

During a recent episode of "Real Time with Bill Maher," host Bill Maher and radio personality Charlamagne Tha God engaged in a fiery debate about…
19 hours ago
 • By Staff Writers

Man Admits to Killing Girl and Abduction, Requests Death Penalty

A Louisiana man, David Callihan, has admitted to abducting two children and killing one of them in a possible human trafficking case.  Callihan, 36, confessed…
19 hours ago
 • By Robert Cunningham

Murphy: SCOTUS Increasingly Political And Corrupt According To Senator

During a televised interview on CNN's "State of the Union," U.S. Senator Chris Murphy strongly criticized the U.S. Supreme Court, highlighting what he perceives as…
20 hours ago
 • By Staff Writers

CNN Sets Stage For First Presidential Debate Featuring Biden And Trump, RFK Jr. May Join

According to Fox News, CNN has established the guidelines for an upcoming debate in Atlanta on June 27. The event will feature President Joe Biden…
23 hours ago
 • By Staff Writers

DON'T WAIT.

We publish the objective news, period. If you want the facts, then sign up below and join our movement for objective news:

    LATEST NEWS

    Newsletter

    Get news from American Digest in your inbox.

      By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: American Digest, 3000 S. Hulen Street, Ste 124 #1064, Fort Worth, TX, 76109, US, http://americandigest.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
      Christian News Alerts is a conservative Christian publication. Share our articles to help spread the word.
      © 2024 - CHRISTIAN NEWS ALERTS - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
      magnifier